pinging hostname issue

Thread: pinging hostname issue

pinging hostname issue

Lets see if anyone here can figure out what I am doing wrong.

I currently have a Webfilter device that sits between my main router and the first switch.

Code:
    {Router}--------{iprism-01}------{network/domain.local}

anyways the way this device works is it looks towards my Active Directories running on a windows 2000 Server so I can setup monitoring and filter rights base off of the domain username. If your part of the domain this works great.

The only problem I seem to have is when you are not part of the domain. And you try to browse the Internet and you will get a Page cannot be displayed. and the path is something like http://iprism-01/ad32489asdfj39adfk3 which should be the iprism-01 logon page. What is trying to take place is that if the iprism device is unable to validate the domain/username it will redirected you to its webpage and ask you to type a username and password. and if you do you have the right to browse for 60 minutes before you must type the username and password again. but in this case on the computer is unable to find the host name iprism-01.

you can ping the Ip address of the device and you can ping the iprism-01.domain.local name but not the iprism-01 name. weird part is I can ping the dns server hostname and ip address. and the other hostnames of workstations joined to the domain. just not the iprism-01

if you are on a workstation that is joined to the domain your able to ping the iprism-01 hostname without any issues.

how the pc is hooked to the network, (this goes for any pc that is not part of the domain not just one pc)

as I said the Domain controller is a windows 2000 server that is running a dns server and is also the DHCP server. so the PC is getting a ip address from DHCP server. which also getting a gateway IP address and a DNS number of the of server. same settings as a workstation that is setup on the domain.

1>there is a A host name and ip address in the DNS server pointing to the Iprism-01 device.
    2>If I was to put the Ip address and host name in the Host file on the pc your able to ping the host name.

I have figured its something with the DNS server but I cannot figure out why. if any of you have any surgestions let me know.

now I don't feel so bad. I guess i will keep on searching.

This is very rusty but I once had a similar issue and it was resloved by removing the . dns name, (that's a fullstop). Because of the sequence I installed DNS and DHCP onto a 2000 server, it caused a fullstop domain to be created in DNS. Someone here advised me to remove it and all was well.

Like I said, this is a rusty memory, but worth a look.
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    This is very rusty but I once had a similar issue and it was resloved by removing the . dns name, (that's a fullstop). Because of the sequence I installed DNS and DHCP onto a 2000 server, it caused a fullstop domain to be created in DNS. Someone here advised me to remove it and all was well.

Like I said, this is a rusty memory, but worth a look.
    i am looking and I am not seeing the "." in the forward I see it under the cache lookups but not under the forward.

I figured it out. Well someone helped me figure it out. I had to add "015 DNS Domain Name" to the options of my DHCP server. and that took care of the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by deseqer
    I figured it out. Well someone helped me figure it out. I had to add "015 DNS Domain Name" to the options of my DHCP server. and that took care of the issue.
    You added it in the Firewall?
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

no the firewall sittings within my router.