USB/Firewire PCMCIA Laptop Problem

Thread: USB/Firewire PCMCIA Laptop Problem

USB/Firewire PCMCIA Laptop Problem

Hi, I need help on a subject that has had my mind boggled for days now. I have a HP DV4230US laptop recently purchased and i bought a PCMCIA USB 2.0 / Firewire IEEE 1334 Combo Cardbus to fit into my Type |/|| port (16-bit also supported). Windows XP recognized it and installed the drivers for me and the device is working properly. HOWEVER, when i try to attach a USB mouse to it or anything such as a firewire cable to test out the port, my laptop doesn't even pick it up. My question is whether it has something to do with the card (i doubt it cause it's brand new and i've already tried one b4 that didn't work) or my port? When i remove the card it's extremely hot, so I know something's working..It juss can't RECEIVE any info from a USB device like how my other 2 USB ports receive it. Basically my card works but my devices when plugged into the card don't work. Compatability problem? my laptop senses that it's working properly, so i'm not sure. Any suggestions? Thanks.

on the card it states that it is a PCMCIA COMBO CARD (VIA) SN: 2006062700044

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Is Windows using it's own drivers, or the one's that were supplied with the card? You can force Windows to use the drivers supplied with the card.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I use the drivers that it came with, and it still doesn't work. I still don't understand the problem.

any luck with this prob?

Does the device manager show the firewire port? How about the usb controller?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

the device manager shows the firewire port and the usb controller, everything works according to the laptop. However, when i plug in a device such as a USB mouse or something, it won't work. The PCMCIA card gets hot, but the mouse doesn't work. It says the device is working properly, but the device doesn't actually work. Thanks for your inputs guys, but I don't think it's gonna work.

Can you try it in someone else's laptop? That way you can say that you tried more than one machine when you take it back.... Hope you get it sorted with a replacement.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

When i remove the card it's extremely hot
    That isn't normal..either there is something wrong with the card or the socket
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Geo... hot is relative... my cardbus socket gets hot enough to make touching uncomfortable because its smack next to the processor...
    If the laptop is not normally warm/hot by the slot, then the card should not be anything than slightly over room temperature. If the card is much hotter than the surrounding laptop, then yeah, it shouldn't be.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Geo... hot is relative... my cardbus socket gets hot enough to make touching uncomfortable because its smack next to the processor...
    If the laptop is not normally warm/hot by the slot, then the card should not be anything than slightly over room temperature. If the card is much hotter than the surrounding laptop, then yeah, it shouldn't be.
    guess I got stuck on the word "extremely"
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

smelling the roasting fingertips

well, i meant extremely as in "wow, i didn't know that thing was hot" kind of reaction. anyway, i tried it in my brother's laptop and it worked fine, which leads me to believe that my laptop is having some problems. Recently, i've had a line of stuck pixels on my screen. if i tilt the angle of the monitor, it would go away for a bit, but then come back. basically, the line is usually green but sometimes other colours, depending on the angle it's at. 2 damn problems with this laptop, think it's time to take it in for repair? or does anyone have any home remedies. lol

Post the green line problem in the laptop/pda forum and refer to this thread... the laptop gurus should be able to help you better.