Preparing winxp integrated SATA image
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Preparing winxp integrated SATA image

Unhappy Preparing winxp integrated SATA image

I asked a similiar question about 1/2 year ago regarding "How do i prepare multi-chipset windows xp image ?", And managed to prepare one that support most IDE chipsets.
    Now i wonder if there is a possibility to integrate SATA drivers into an working copy of windows xp in a simple way.
    Thank you

Discussion about this in this thread in Operating Systems , Windows XP:

How to F6'ing the WinXP Installation w/o floppy?

CCT, Thanks, But i mean to integrate the SATA drivers after winxp is already installed in order to image it and re-image it on different hardware...

HipHoper,

Do you use sysprep? If not, that can help you quite a bit in achieving what you're trying to achieve.
    Shoot 'em up! Shoot 'em up! Pow! Pow!

Hey owl,
    Well..I've used sysprep to make the IDE compatible image, But could not integrate all sata drivers.What i did is bought motherboards with the specific SATA chipset (Sis,VIA) and sysprep'd the system. This gives me a partial solution, But better than nothing....
    I am looking for a "wider" solution.
    Thank you :O)

Have you tried to manually enter the driver folders in the Device Path key under:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENT VERSION\

I create a folder under C:\Sysprep called Drivers and I have 1GB of drivers for Video, Sound, IDE\SATA, NIC, Monitors and anything else I can think of! and when sysprep runs it grabs the drivers from these folders, so I just create a sysprep image on one PC and install on any machine without an issue.

Can you give me a sample category regarding that in your sysprep file ?
    Thank you :O)

I don't enter this information in sysprep. I manually enter it into the registry key. I have a master drivers folder list in a text file and right before I start sysprep I copy this into the device path registry key.

The reason i do it this way is that if you do it via sysprep, you're restricted to only 250 characters for the whole string, but if you do it manually, you don't have that restriction.

My text file looks something like this, minus the random spaces:

Code:
    %SystemRoot%\inf;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\002;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\003;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\004;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\005;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\006;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\007;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\008;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\009;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\010;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\011;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\012;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Audio\013;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Modem\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Modem\002;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Modem\003;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Modem\004;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Modem\005;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Modem\006;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Smart\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Smart\002;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\002;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\003;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\004;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\005;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\006;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\007;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\008;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\009;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Nic\010;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Pmdevice\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\USB\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\002;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\003;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\004;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\005;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\006;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\007;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\008;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\009;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\010;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\011;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\012;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\013;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\014;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\015;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\016;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\017;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\018;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\019;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\020;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Basic\Video\021;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Chipset\001;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Chipset\002;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Chipset\003;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Chipset\004;C:\Sysprep\Drivers\Chipset\005

I see owl,
    So basically i should install a fresh windows xp sp2 copy on a system, Copy all the driver packs i want and insert them in to c: drive in one folder and lots of sub folders, And then add the folder name to the specific key youv'e mentioned.
    Will it let windows recognise new chipsets when it runs the PNP pre-setup ? Have you tested it on Nvidia nforce 4 problematic-for-images chipset ?

I have not tried it on nForce4, but I have on nForce2 and it worked like a charm.

This page has some good info: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=284&p=5

Try the nlite program mentioned in the link above, looks like it takes the headache out of image building.

http://www.nliteos.com/

Nlite is great, But it's no good when you want to prepare a multi chipset compatible image that you can re-image in few minutes, Becasue it doesn't enter the chipset specific driver data into the sysprep.inf file

Have you tried the -bmsd switch with sysprep?

yea and also -clean, But it helped just to incluse the specific active chipset which was installed at a given moment.That what helped me to prepare the IDE + SIS + VIA SATA chipsets image.... :O)