need cpu support details for presario notebook

Thread: need cpu support details for presario notebook

need cpu support details for presario notebook

hi all. i have a presario 1200xl300b notebook. cpu-z id's the mobo as a compaq 06e0h with a 4.06 phoenix bios string. dated 10/16/2000. i cant find a thing about the fastest chip i can install. currently a celeron 600 (socket 370) i want to use this old beast but it's soooooo slow. where can i find cpu support for it?

thanx in advance for the help gents!

gib7464

Do some searching around here: http://tinyurl.com/yyogsq

thanx. i have been all over that site. they only seem to give up the memory specs. i've been searching for a few days. every time i get a few days into a problem and come up empty, i end up back here and get the info from the windrivers members and moderators.

gib7464

while you might (just might, notice..) get a 700 celeron to work in that computer, It wouldn't be easy..the fsb is ok, but the voltage is not. That has nothing to do with the bios.. About the only thing that can make it faster is more memory or a faster hard drive.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

wow. i've already maxed out the memory. it's better. thanx for the insight. it's a shame i cant upgrade this thing much. i see that the heat sink probably cant be enlarged or a fan added. too bad.

thank you for the help gents.

gib7464

by the way. will a 7200 rpm hd help much? or do you mean the buffer? i'm not real sure what you mean by a faster hd

gib7464

This site:

http://www.cpu-collection.de/?l0=co&...0III%20Celeron

lists several options - perhaps geoscomp or NooNoo can steer you to something from there .

edit: This site: http://www.cpuscorecard.com/cpuprices/ic.htm

shows a matching cpu (your data) that operates at 1.5 v and thus I infer that there are no faster cpu's that have the same FSB frequency and operating voltage available.
    Last edited by CCT; October 13th, 2006 at 09:24 AM.

Not really, there are few details about that laptop.
    Most laptop hdds are 5400, so if there is a 7200 2.5" drive preferably with a 2mb cache or higher, then it will help, but it will not be a major difference.

Changing the celeron for a cpu with the same frequency but with more cache would show a noticeable difference, but without the tech details of the mobo and the fact that changing laptop cpus is not an easy thing to do, I would invest the time in saving for a better laptop - especially as they are getting cheap now.
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 13th, 2006 at 07:25 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

ok, thanx. i guess theres a few specs i dont seem to understand. i have a pentium 3 700mz cpu to try. it's only problem is the bus speed on the celron is 66hz. and the p3 is 100. the l2 cache is 256 and the cel is 128. i've been in the laptop already so interchanging is no problem. can the 100 mhz cpu function in a 66 mhz setting?

gib7464

Depending on the bios, it will either not boot, run at 66mhz or run at 100mhz, The cache you can ignore - that is very very fast local ram for the cpu to use. If you want to give it a go, do so, but voltages are important - too much it fries, to little it don't work and no I have no way of knowing without some detailed info on the motherboard itself.

Short answer, if you try it, you might fry it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."