M/B=cpu/chassis/power fan ports - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: M/B=cpu/chassis/power fan ports

Quote Originally Posted by kolokythaki
    No, this is what our friend geoscomp tried to say when compared these 2 connectors as same function. I m who ask, not say!

I didn't say that they were the same..I said that they were both controlled by the qfan2 speed control. That doesn't mean they serve the same function, just that they both slow the fan down when the processor is cooler.

I'm outta here..I've got computers to fix..some of which were broken by people that didn't read and FOLLOW the manual..which says, in your case, to connect the cpu fan to the cpu fan controller, and connect the chassis fan to the chassis fan controller.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

So are you going to write to Asus?
    No... cant wait so long. I ll ask other people in other forums.

No... cant wait so long. I ll ask other people in other forums.
    let us know which forums, I would be interested to see the answers you get.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

OH and please feel free to link to this thread to save you some typing.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp
    I didn't say that they were the same..I said that they were both controlled by the qfan2 speed control. That doesn't mean they serve the same function, just that they both slow the fan down when the processor is cooler.

I'm outta here..I've got computers to fix..some of which were broken by people that didn't read and FOLLOW the manual..which says, in your case, to connect the cpu fan to the cpu fan controller, and connect the chassis fan to the chassis fan controller.
    the question was if cpu connector and chassis connector r under same function(cool&quiet) And i thought u said yes.
    I have, once more, to tell u that manual doesnt write someting about THIS point. Am I right??

the question was if cpu connector and chassis connector r under same function(cool&quiet) And i thought u said yes.
    I have, once more, to tell u that manual doesnt write someting about THIS point. Am I right??
    I did not say yes. I said cool n quiet does one thing, qfan2 does something else, go back and read what I said.

No you are wrong. I believe this is because you think cool n quiet and qfan technologies are linked. They are not.

qfan2 controlls the chassis and cpu fans connected to the cpu and chassis connectors.

cool n quiet controls the speed of the processor.

The effect is that when the processor slows down it produces less heat, the qfan2 thermistors detect less heat and slow the fans down. This is cause and effect - the two technologies are completely separate and unaware of each other.

I did not say yes. I said cool n quiet does one thing, qfan2 does something else, go back and read what I said.
    u r totaly confused..I said that for our friend geoscomp, not for u!

No you are wrong.
    Am I wrong??? Ok, then show my WHERE the hell manual says that cpu and chassis connectors r both under cool & quiet technology !!

u r totaly confused..I said that for our friend geoscomp, not for u!

Am I wrong??? Ok, then show my WHERE the hell manual says that cpu and chassis connectors r both under cool & quiet technology !!
    There are no fans connected to the cool and quiet technology..cool and quiet technology does not control fan speed..as NooNoo and I both said. Fan speed is controlled by the Qfan2 technology and both chassis fan and cpu fan are run by that.
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Neither Geoscomp or I said that the fan connectors were under cool n quiet technology. In fact we explained that the two technologies have nothing to do with each other.

Try this example

In an office there is air conditioning. The air conditioning reacts to the temperature in the room. It is totally unaware of what is causing the temperature in the room.

The sun is beating down on the office making it hotter, so the air conditioning reacts to the temperature, making the office return to a preset temperature. Another day, the sun is not so hot - perhaps it is raining and cool - the air conditioning does not need to cool the office as much. Is the air conditioning aware of the sun? No.

In your computer, the cpu is the sun and the cool n quiet is the weather. The fans react (under qfan2 technology) to the temperature inside the case. Nothing else.

i see 2 possiblities:1 he doesn`t read good enough in english to understand,
    2:well i will keep it to myself,lol,
    Noo you must be an angel to put up with the crap somepeoples give you

My suggestions:
    Does the cool&quiet technology works only in the cpu port? (Fan connector)
    I can't say with certainty, but I think that could be so. I think this because cool&quiet is also able to utilise an AMD (or third-party) heatsink with integrated temperature sensor, and I suspect if the BIOS is aware of this sensor (or at least AMD's own sensor), it will only look for it on the CPU fan connector, since this is also where the BIOS checks CPU fan failure for boot warning or emergency unattended system shutdown. But if this sensor isn't used for the cool&quiet feature, then the reason to use this connector for the CPU fan is just for the CPU fan failure monitoring (still important). I'll do some more research on this since my ASUS board is Intel & so doesn't have the cool&quiet for me to check. (Edit: see below)

But it seems you have a range of possibilities depending on just what hardware is installed. You can use the power management aspect, with or without Q-fan, or combine the integrated heatsink sensor.

The manual comments: "This feature requires the AMD heatsink and fan assembly with monitor chip. If you purchased a separate heatsink and fan package, use the ASUS Q-fan Technology feature... "

So ASUS seem to be suggesting for the CPU fan connector, you enable either cool&quiet, or Q-fan, depending on whether the cool&quiet monitor chip is present on the cooler. Experimenting to see which gives the best results is probably best. For example some people have found cool&quiet can cause stutters in DVD replay, so Q-fan might be better there.

Edit: All my investigations indicate the above quote from the manual is misleading, possibly a poor translation. It should say something like "To function fully, this feature requires the...heatsink...with monitor chip." The "quiet" part of cool&quiet is done by either the thermal chip on the heatsink, or Q-fan (or both if you want to get extreme). The "cool" part isn't related to any particular connector, but as already said, the CPU fan connector should be used to get fan failure protection.

I think I can adjust the rpm of the chassis fan, because I see in bios that theres setting for 11/15 to 15/15...right?
    I agree, the ratio you select will control how much slower the fan runs until Q-fan detects higher system load/temperatures. Then it will speed up until the system is cooler & less active, then slow down again.

So, is it good idea to connect there the fan of my vga card(6600gt). I already did it. I also have the option to connect it right on the psu (option for 5V-silent and 12V-normal) Or I should choose the power port (is this port for standard rpm?)
    I suggest trying whichever (non-CPU) fan is noisier, to get the most benefit from the reduced speed. With the video card one connected there, if you can monitor the video card temperature, make sure the GPU temperature stays reasonable when Q-fan is enabled. If it gets too hot, use a standard RPM (fixed 12v) connection. Be cautious using 5V supply to a 12V fan, many will spin quietly, but may not start reliably, unless the manufacturer specifically specifies the fan for operation down to 5V, as NooNoo has already observed.

Or I should choose the power port (is this port for standard rpm?)

I also want to connect a 90mm case fan. Which port should I choose? power or chassis? or psu direckly?
    The power connector isn't explained very well in the manual. From its location near the power regulator, and the temperature reporting in the BIOS, I guess it is intended for an extra fan either piggy-back on the PSU or on the back of the case drawing heat away from the power regulator area. It looks like it's fixed full RPM.

If the 90mm case fan is quiet, you'll get the most cooling advantage from having it blowing at full speed into the case (front or side location). The direct PSU fan connector could be used, but again, as NooNoo has said, it all depends on which fans you want to be able to be monitored directly by the BIOS. If that doesnt matter, you can probably just use whichever connection is most convenient (e.g. by wire lengths etc).
    Last edited by Platypus; October 8th, 2006 at 07:42 AM.

[I wrote this msg before I read Playpus prev.post]

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Neither Geoscomp or I said that the fan connectors were under cool n quiet technology. In fact we explained that....
    In fact, u need be more careful. Here what we said
    kolokythaki:
    1. We can see the results of the "cool&quiet technology" in the cpu connector(where we connect cpu's fan): if pc doesnt do something, cpu's fan calms down, less rmp->low noise, low temperature, energy saved. If pc works full(a 3D game or video editing) then we see more rpm to manage the high temp.
    So the question is if all this job works only in the cpu connector, or as well in other 2 connectors too(power,chassis)...
    geoscomp: (bold letters from author, red from me)
    Yes..it only works for the CPU and chassis..not for the power..and the reason the fan slows down is because the cool and quiet technology is allowing the CPU to run slower, thus needing less cooling..as the CPU temp rises, the fan speed rises as well.
    Ok lets forget cool&quiet since u guys refuse get the point of this case.
    Lets focus in this question: Where should I connect vga's and case's fans? PSU or M/B? I dont consider for monitoring but for quiet and freeze(my 3rd HD goes over 50oC).

Quote Originally Posted by clauded
    i see 2 possiblities:1 he doesn`t read good enough in english to understand....Noo you must be an angel to put up with the crap somepeoples give you
    I wont answer u as I should because its obvious u r a pc crap-user...
    Last edited by kolokythaki; October 8th, 2006 at 06:13 PM.

quote : kolokythaki

"Where should I connect vga's and case's fans? PSU or M/B? I dont consider for monitoring but for quiet and freeze(my 3rd HD goes over 50oC)."

You are a great poster - so much fun.

The video cards MUST be connected to a steady state power supply since they do not have a variable rate heat sensor - in other words hook them up to the 12 volt supply (or supplies as need be according to newer specs).

If you don't, kiss your card goodbye. Period!!!

Case fan (singular) can be connected to the chassis connector on the mobo OR to the 12v om the psu. Asus and others give you some quieting when you use the mobo connector BUT that doesn't account for mobo chip temps themselves SO it is better to just leave the case fans on PSU 12 v and draft the hell outa your case.

If this doesn't answer your question, then 'shove off mate!'.

I can be banned from here for this, but you are aggravating me.

You are a great poster
    Yes, indeed Its because I always make important & useful threads.
    The video cards MUST be connected to a steady state power supply...
    Why steady? If pc is in idle position(does nothing) why should card's fan work full speed, spend energy, produce noise & heat ??
    ...since they do not have a variable rate heat sensor...If you don't, kiss your card goodbye
    My card does have a heat sencor(Νvidia GeForce 6600gt) which I watch it from its driver's software. The most I have seen so far is 70-71oC...U think I m in danger to burn it?
    Case fan (singular) can be connected to the chassis connector...Asus and others give you some quieting when you use the mobo connector...
    After 2 days using, I have not seen that. If I choose 11/15 I have 1500rpm, if I choose 13/15 I have 1700rpm...stable. No any flexibility.
    SO it is better to just leave the case fans on PSU 12 v...
    What do mean "leave"...I recently bought that fan and I m looking wheres best to put it.
    ...and draft the hell outa your case.

71C is a bit high, but if that is after a long time gaming then it's ok. What does the idle gpu core temp say?