code 10?? help!

Thread: code 10?? help!

Question code 10?? help!

I just got a Belkin wireless G USB Network Adapter (F5D7050, version 3000uk), and successfully installed it and was able to use the wireless internet yesterday... However, the icon suddenly dissappeared and said that the usb adapter was not pluged in (which it was). (also, the usb port does work since i sucessfully used it to upload some fotos from my camera)
    I then uninstalled and reinstalled the thing, and this time windows did not automatically recognise the new hardware, even after restarting the pc... so i went to the device manager and installed it through there, only to find a yellow circle and exclamation mark saying that the device was installed but could not start. I uninstalled and reinstalled it many many times with no luck. Am I doing something wrong / stupid? I am really not very computer literate, but funilly enough, the Belkin support people are even less so.
    The device uptade doesnt seem to work either... someone said maybe it was corrupted, but i dont know anything about that...
    please help!
    rita
    Last edited by cazota; September 23rd, 2006 at 04:15 AM.

Welcome to Windrivers cazota

Code 10 can be tricky to fix. It means there are not enough resources to give to the usb device and in some cases like usb hard drives often refers to the port not being able to give enough power to power it.

With a network card it could be either. I take it you tried different usb ports when reinstalling?
    Are you using a laptop?
    Could you post the make and model of your computer please and what operating system you are running.

It is entirely possible that the network adapter decided to go faulty - try installing it on another computer.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hey NooNoo, thank you for your quick response!
    I did try different usb ports, and im sure they are both working since I just used one to upload some photos from my camera.
    I am using a desktop computer and the make of my computer is a Dell, and im using Windows XP.
    I heard something about disabling usb function in BIOS, but i really have absolutely no idea about what this is or how to get to it!

There are apparently MANY unhappy shoppers out there;

http://tinyurl.com/purmf

One site I read said that Belkin has a version 3.0 driver available for these things.

edit: version 4 drivers released this year:

http://web.belkin.com/support/downlo...0&lang=1&mode=
    Last edited by CCT; September 23rd, 2006 at 07:37 AM.

these appear to be the latest drivers

Belkin are pretty good on support, try the contact wizard - you want to choose installation help (last one) or perhaps go straight for a replacement.

Finally, when installing did you have the adapter connected to the usb port?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

hey, I only connected the adapter to the usb port when the wizard asked me to do so, which I think was after the software was installed... the first time I did that the pc said 'new hardware recognised' and then proceeded to automatically install it and the icon showed up on the toolbar, however that icon suddenly disappeared (and the pc would not recognise the adapter) and when I uninstalled and then reinstalled and pluged the adapter in (when asked to) the pc did nothing, it didnt notice I plugged the adapter in, so I went through device manager to manualy install it (after which the 'code 10' appeared, saying the device was installed but would not start)....
    aghhh

OK, I think it's best if you try installing it on another machine. If it installs, then it's not faulty. Best to check whether it's faulty first - saves a lot of time.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Use Add/remove programs to remove The Belkin software. Using the registry editor, (regedit)highlight hkey_classes_root click on edit, click on find..., in find what type belkin, click on find next. Delete anything it finds. Reboot, install the software, plug in the adapter when told to do so by the software. When it's all done, reboot. Then go into device manager, and uncheck the box where it says to shut the device off to save power.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Exclamation code10 on NIC.. help pls... Ü

hi guys..
    i'm new here. need help. i kinda have the same problem w/ my NIC. it's a 3Com 10/100 mini PCI ethernet adapter. getting code 10. tried all the troubleshooting steps that i know. i have updated the driver, uninstalled/reinstalled the device, uninstalled/reinstalled the driver but it's still not fixed. dont know how to physically remove the device from my laptop though... it's in a T20 IBM laptop,winXP. dont know how to check versions though.. help me pls? tnx...

Welcome to WinDrivers:

Trfy this site - read a bit and identify your version of drivers -

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs...s/iwm545ww.txt

The latest XP driver is here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-40371

thanks for the response cct.
    i have already installed this & the ethernet package. no change....
    Last edited by maedn; October 15th, 2006 at 07:46 PM.

Code 10 usually means the operating system cannot find enough resources to install the card. What do you have on the laptop you don't use? For example, com or serial ports? Onboard modem? These can be disabled in bios/setup thereby freeing up resources. If not, then disable from bios all peripheral devices except the ethernet...

Then boot to safe mode and uninstall the drivers from device manager and check that there is nothing listed in add/remove programs - if there is, remove it. Reboot to normal mode and it should detect and install ok.

Now add back your other devices one at a time.

If this doesn't work, it may imply that the network card is faulty.