Wireless Network

Thread: Wireless Network

Wireless Network

I installed a linksys wireless router for a customer and all was working fine. The next day the customer calls and says it no longer worked so I had her call her isp and they connected her direct to the modem and it worked again so he siad it was the routers fault. I told her that I doubted it and she should call and get a new modem from quest and quest turned around and told her something about a possible subnet mask issue with the router. I'm going to replace the router tonight and see if it is the router but I'm confused here. I have set up many of these and never seen any problem with the subnet mask. She is getting her service through an ISP that gets the service through Quest. I would think that since a connection was established it should stay unless their be a problem with the modem or ISP and maybe the router but I doubt it. What ya think?

Well now I just went there and it was none of the above. It was the wireless telephone screwing up the connection. LOL

Yep, that happens alot, include in the list of things to check - cordless phones, microwaves and tv senders (wireless tv signal send/receive kits)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Now will this phone change frequency or is the phone set to only one freq. I have not encountered this before and it baffled me for a bit and if not for the customer making a call while I stood there I would not have figured it out at the time. I'm sure I would have but not right then.

look in the user guide for the phone...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Change the channel on the router and other computer. The phone uses either of 2 channels. The router has 11 of them to choose from.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Yes the router was on 11 and I changed it to 1. The laptop I left as it was and it connected right back up.