Wieless multifunction units
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wieless multifunction units

Wireless multifunction units

Has anyone had experience with these things. I have a customer interested in one, but neither of us here have ever used one or set one up. He wants to be able to put it on a shelf in an out of the way room upstairs. His router is downstairs.

Example we were looking at is:-

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...-12229218.html
    and
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en...-12715608.html

We just wondered about ease of set up, reliability, scanning speeds etc across a wireless connection.

Thanks
    Last edited by ADS_Tech; October 26th, 2006 at 03:06 PM.
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

wireless one? yep, pita to setup, but once set, works great. You really need to read the manual on this one.

Scanning speed is not relevant - you have to put the picture in the machine to scan then it's just a case of transferring the file across the network. It's g/b so it depends on the speed of the router...
    Last edited by NooNoo; October 26th, 2006 at 11:30 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    we have several within our offices, but they're used as printers and as occasional copiers, nobody has the software installed to scan.

I'm going to sound stupid maybe , but if you don't ask etc..............

I take it scanning software will work wirelessly as well, and it's not necessary to connect directly to PC or router to scan..........
    Last edited by ADS_Tech; October 26th, 2006 at 03:06 PM.
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.

This guys router is a Netgear Rangemax, so that shouldnt be too much of an issue...........

I didn't think you could use the scanner wirelessly, but I've never tried. This is listed in the specs:
    Built-in Ethernet and embedded 802.11g/b for wired or wireless home networking and remote printing; 33.6 Kbps fax; 6 individual ink cartridges; 9.1 cm colour LCD for printing and editing of photos without a PC; view video clips with sound and print a sequence of photos; print and copy at up to 32 ppm black, 31 ppm colour; print 10 x 15 cm photos in just 14 seconds; direct photo printing without a PC from memory cards, USB sticks, PictBridge-enabled digital cameras or Bluetooth® camera phones (available with purchase of HP bt300/400 series Bluetooth® Wireless Printer Adapter); copy without a PC; up 4800 x 1200-optimised dpi colour (when printing from a computer and 1200-input dpi) or 6-ink colour printing; borderless printing up to large panorama size (215 x 610 mm) – including passport photo size (with borders); flatbed scanning at 4800 x 4800 dpi resolution, 48-bit colour; scan multiple slides or negatives at once; HP Image Zone photo and imaging software included for archiving, editing and sharing photos with friends and families.
    It sounds like the wireless is just there for printing, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute
    I didn't think you could use the scanner wirelessly, but I've never tried.
    It sounds like the wireless is just there for printing, but I could be wrong.
    Noo Noo.........?????????

Here, I did a quick online chat with HP presales for you:

Thank you for contacting HP Home and Home Office
    Connection established.
    Initiating Call, Please Wait.
    System:: Searching for an available agent.
    Agent Connected.
    guest: Warning: Java Plugin is
    enabled on Customer's machine.
    guest: Hello
    adriano: Thank you for contacting the HP Home & Home Office Store chat. My name is Adrian.
    guest: Hello Adrian
    guest: I have a question concerning the HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One
    guest: can it scan to a computer via the wireless network interface, or does it require direct connection via a usb cable?
    adriano: The 5180 does not offer wireless support. It can connect to a wired network or via USB. USB is the only way to scan to any format.
    guest: So there are not any all-in-one units that can scan wirelessly?
    adriano: Not that I am currently aware of.
    guest: Ok, that's what I needed to know. Thanks adriano!
    adriano: Thank you once again for using HP Home & Home Office Store chat. To sign up for our email newsletter or our catalog please visit our website, www.hpshopping.com.

So apparently the unit I picked to chat about didn't even have wireless, but he did confirm your fears that wireless scanning is not an option. Sorry!

hmmm sorry, didn't look at the scanning wirelessly.... as I said, you have to stand by the unit to put the picture in....I wonder if it would save the scan to a local memory stick?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Not sure what you're scanning, but we have added scanning options to our copiers here at work and they're on the network. Its pretty slick, I can walk up to them, lay a stack of 50 pages in the ADF and send it over the network to my pc and its there waiting for me in PDF format when I get there. It also can transfer to and ftp server if you have a lot of documents to do. Only drawback is they are black and white units only.

Yes, ive seen them - great arent they, especially scanning muliple pages to .pdf! We have installed few of these scanners, connected through wired ethernet.

As for the all-in-one. This isnt just an issue for this customer, but one that weve been asked about more and more. Folk want to get rid of the PC and go for a laptop based set up that can easily be hidden away. A router, especially this pretty white Netgear one, doesnt look out of place in a hallway, where the main phone point often is. A sodding great all-in-one does!
    However, scanning to memory card seems to be the answer. like you said Noo Noo, you have to go to it to put the picture/document in it in the first place.

Better make sure you can scan to a memory stick before you make the purchase just to be safe.

Yep... I wondered... I don't know!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Yep... I wondered... I don't know!
    It seems logical that they should, but we all no how much logic comes into play sometimes.......

What is obvious to a user as a requirement is rarely considered by the designer or analyst....