USB devices not working....Except...

Thread: USB devices not working....Except...

USB devices not working....Except...

Upgraded my computer by buying an A8N-E motherboard, AMD 3800+ processor, and a new video card. I used all my other equipment, including my older case. The case has 2 built-in USB ports on the front, and I connected these to the appropriate connectors on the motherboard. They seem to be working correctly. Previously, before the upgrade, I only had USB 1.1 support, as most any USB device I plugged in gave me the notification about being a USB 2.0 device, and I would have to upgrade to take advantage of the faster speeds. But now, I am getting very odd problems. I have Windows XP, and yes I do have SP2 installed, as well as every other critical MS update. I checked the BIOS as well, and all the USB options are enabled. One other thing I want to mention is my Power supply is ATX12v, but it has the 20 pin connector, and the additional 4 pin connector. I have both of those connected to the motherboard int he correct locations, and it seems to get all the power it needs just fine, but I was wondering if there are power issues with USB 2.0 using a PSU like this?

Now, when I plug in a USB device, such as my printer or mouse, the device usually works fine right away, then it will stop working after being used for a few minutes and appear to have no power. The mouse laser does not light up, and the printer shows as being offline. If I then unplug the device, and plug it back in, I get the USB Root Hub icon in the system tray which denotes an unkown USB device. Even though it had at first successfully identified the USB device, installed drivers, and I used the device for a short period before it died. I have tried my USB dvices in the case USB ports in the front, as well as the USB ports built into the motherboard in the back. All yield the same results. I have, however, found one workaround to this problem that I have tested and verified. I have an older USB Logitech Wheel Mouse. It works flawlessly in any USB port. If I leave this mouse plugged in, my other USB devices also work normally. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this???

Here is some info from msinfo:

Logitech USB WheelMouse USB\VID_046D&PID_C00C\5&19D6580A&0&4
    Logitech USB WheelMouse HID\VID_046D&PID_C00C\6&19D9BB9&0&0000
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_005B&SUBSYS_815A1043&REV_A3\3&241 1E6FE&0&11
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_005A&SUBSYS_815A1043&REV_A2\3&241 1E6FE&0&10
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&35297846&3
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&1E67B15B&3
    Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&19D6580A&0&2

IRQ 0 System timer OK
    IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard OK
    IRQ 3 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
    IRQ 4 Communications Port (COM1) OK
    IRQ 6 Standard floppy disk controller OK
    IRQ 8 System CMOS/real time clock OK
    IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
    IRQ 10 MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device OK
    IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
    IRQ 14 NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller OK
    IRQ 15 NVIDIA nForce4 Parallel ATA Controller OK
    IRQ 18 Radeon X1600 Series OK
    IRQ 20 NVIDIA Network Bus Enumerator OK
    IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
    IRQ 23 Realtek AC'97 Audio OK

First thing that comes to mind is to check the usb root ports in dervice manager and make sure that they aren't allowed to be turned off to save power.

Ok. I'm trying that out now. One other thing...I think I remember there showing 4 USB Root Hubs, and now there are only 2. Maybe I'm crazy. How many should show up? There are like 6 ports attached to the motherboard itself, 2 more on an extra horizontal card that plug into the motherboard, and 2 more on the case in the front that also plug onto the motherboard.

according to the specs you can have 10 usb ports running.... usually a hub runs a couple of ports, so if you lost one, then something has become unplugged or may have been turned off in bios.

As for the turning off business, yep CCT hit it right on the nose, your ports are going into power save mode.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."