sound driver still not working

Thread: sound driver still not working

sound driver still not working

Good Morning,

I posted this new thread and copied and pasted the one i add to DS Maniac's.

Hello
    I am having the same problem as ds_maniac. I was giving a Panasonic cf-50 laptop. the sound used to work until i had to reload xp. Now it doesn't work. I have tried going on Panasonic’s website to download a sound driver but nothing seems to work. I've even tried downloading other drivers as well. In the control panel it's saying no sound device found. After reading your post I downloaded everest. In everest under windows audio, it is blank. I copied and pasted some of the report from everest. In the control panel under sound and audio devices, (under the hardware tab)it says that all of the sound controllers can not start (code 10).

CPU Type Mobile Intel Pentium M, 1600 MHz (16 x 100)
    Motherboard Name Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co.,Ltd. CF50-3
    Motherboard Chipset Intel Odem i855PM
    System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (07/14/03)
    Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
    Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1

Sound, video and game controllers:
    Audio Codecs 5.1.2535.0
    ES1688 Plug and Play AudioDrive (WDM) 5.1.2535.0
    Legacy Audio Drivers 5.1.2535.0
    Legacy Audio Drivers 5.1.2535.0
    Legacy Video Capture Devices 5.1.2535.0
    Media Control Devices 5.1.2535.0
    Microsoft MPU Audio Driver(WDM) 5.1.2535.0
    SiS 7018 Audio Driver 5.1.2535.0
    Sound Blaster 16 or AWE32 or compatible (WDM) 5.1.2535.0
    VIA AC'97 Audio Controller (WDM) 5.1.2535.0
    Video Codecs 5.1.2535.0

Welcome to Windrivers melrando. In future please start your own thread because if DS maniac comes back, then it can get confusing as to who is doing what.... but for the time being we will continue here.

Well you have managed to install just about every sound driver going... except of course the one that you need... (SigmaTelTM STAC9767 AC-97 v.2.1 Compliant Audio Codec depending on which CF 50 you have)

So first of all, boot to safe mode (press f8 a few times before the Windows screen comes up). Go to add/remove programs and remove ALL sound driver software. Now go to device manager and uninstall everything you listed in the above post, plus any other sound devices except audio codecs and legacy audio drivers and media control devices and video codecs.

Reboot to normal mode (the sound card should detect, cancel the installation for the moment thought) and go to panasonic downloads here and note that there are different drivers depending on which CF-50 you actually have. Everest says CF50-3 but you can see that they differentiate the drives with letters not numbers. Download the appropriate one, and install.

NooNoo
    I must be doing something wrong. I have been to the toughbook website before and downloaded everyone of the zipped files for CF-50. After deleting the sound devices like you said, I went to the toughbook website again. The options were to download zip files. I downloaded a zipped file for the sound driver for a CF-50E/F/G/H using Windows XP. I used this one because it says CF-50GB2UUKM on the back of my laptop. This is the only thing I can find that may tell me which cf-50 I have. The zipped folder is called 50m3xps1. Within the folder are the files INFCACHE.1, stac97.cat, stac.cpl, stac97.inf, stac97.PNF, stac97.sys. I have opened all of the files and nothing happened. Am I suppose to do something else with the files? Thanks for any help you can provide.

In device manager there should be an unknown device...or a sound controller that has a ! next to it. Double click it, click the driver tab and click update drivers... tell XP where you stored those files (you have to extract them to a folder first). If all is well, XP will install the sound drivers. If not, you either have the wrong files, or there is possibly a fault with the sound chip.
    Last edited by NooNoo; November 19th, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Did you ever get your sound working again? When I upgraded from win2k to winxp pro, I was having the same problem. Here's how I was able to fix it. If you go into BIOS on the first tab you should see your model number. From that you can dl the right drivers.

Then use device manager to install this driver. Slightly above the sound video and game controller you should still see an unknown device. This is what is causing the trouble.
    For this device you must install the "Hot Key" driver from the panasonic driver page.

Hope this helps.