DVD ROM doesn't read DVD's

Thread: DVD ROM doesn't read DVD's

DVD ROM doesn't read DVD's

I have an Emachines m6805, My dvd rom reads cd's of all types but doesn't read DVD's.....what is the problem, and if it's a driver problem, where can I go do download the correct drivers. the drive is a slimtype combo lsc 24082k

thanks

I've also downloaded every codec under the sun to include nero, divx, and other freeware and codecs that I had to pay for and nothing helps (the geek squad at best buy are a bunch of retards who don't know anything)

Welcome to WinDrivers, 1st.

If the DVDs that are not being read include data DVDs, not just movie disks, then it's very likely the DVD section of the laser has failed, leaving the CD reading capability intact.

Possibly the simplest way to make sure of this would be if you could get access to a bootable DVD, if you don't already have one, such as a computer magazine cover DVD that is a Linux Live disk. By trying to boot from DVD, all drivers, codecs etc are eliminated from the equation.

If the system can boot from a bootable CD, such as Windows Install CD, but not from a bootable DVD, then the fault is within the drive. If booting from a DVD is possible, the drive is reading the disk, so the problem has to lie elsewhere.

thanks

Yeah, it doesn't read anything.....so here's another question....Being that I'm in Iraq and don't have the time to wait for my computer to be shipped to the states, repaired and then shipped back.....if I get an external plug and play drive, will that solve the issue?

I use a LiteOn external slot-loading USB DVD burner, I've found it very satisfactory. I can use it on different computers if I wish, and add DVD burning for backups on systems that only have CD burning, like my laptop.

Have you tried using a cleaning disc? I had the same problem you do, but I tried using a disc that didn't work but a few shots of compressed air solved the problem.

I agree with Loopy's suggestion. If the fault is proven to be in the drive itself, lens cleaning is really the only cure available to try.

It would be a little unusual for only the DVD side to be affected, but certainly not impossible.