Mama's Little Baby Loves Cracklin Bread.

Thread: Mama's Little Baby Loves Cracklin Bread.

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL

Thumbs up Mama's Little Baby Loves Cracklin Bread.

I just finished making mine to go with the Blackeyed Peas and hog Jowls.

My God! we do use everything ,but the squeal!

CRACKLIN' CORN BREAD

Never will forget butcherin' time. Mama would cut up the hog hide with the fat on it and render the fat by frying the skins down to a crisp. That skin is what we mean by "cracklin's". Mama would save them to eat plain or put in corn bread.

1 1/2 c. corn meal
    1/2 c. flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 c. cracklin's
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1 egg, beaten
    1 1/2 c. milk

Sift together corn meal, flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl combine beaten eggs, milk and cracklin's. Combine with dry ingredients. Mix well, pour into greased pan. Bake at 375 degrees until golden brown
    Last edited by street1; January 1st, 2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: I spell wrong sometimes.LOL
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

I guess I missed a lot being a city boy... If it didn't come from the grocery store wrapped in nice clean clear cellophane we didn't eat it...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

mmmmmm pork crackling!!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yeah, Guts, when I was living in Northern Virginia, cracklins were hard to come by outside of the Hispanic markets. Can you say chicharrones? Sure, I knew you could. Not, of course, to be confused with Dominican-style fried chicken aka chicharrones de pollo. Ah, it's good to be back in Texas, where fried pork skins most certainly do come in shiny cellophane bags!

And mercy sakes, yes! The squeal does get used. It helps remind the other pigs of their place.

Takes me back to my college days, when I lived with some Venezuelan students from the "rural" areas. I am here to tell you, they are the only people I have ever known to buy, cook and eat such wonderful things as pig ears and snouts. Not ground up into sausages, or hot dogs, but eaten as they come. I don't care how much you cook, season and mess with pig ears, they are some tough, chewy suckers!
    I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet.

Sounds like a delicious recipe streetman!!!

In The Backyard With PeckerWood.My Pet Bird.LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by cookin chef
    Sounds like a delicious recipe streetman!!!
    Substituting Buttermilk is a good change too.
    "We Must Have Toliver Gravy!"Said The Bloody
    Little Yellow Lumbermen To The Forum King.

I don't think I have ever eaten cracklin cornbread. Come to think of it maybe not even corn bread. It isn't something we get into in Australia. We eat crackling when it is baked in the oven on a leg of pork, salted and wiped with vinegar in a real hot oven makes it nice and crackly before the oven it turned down to allow for slow cooking of the pork.

I have a slow combustion stove in my old farm kitchen which I love to cook with and it makes the best Pork crackling almost every time. Although the pigs are not allowed to get fat enough these days with all those good things we used to enjoy not being good for us any more. Sad.....

Your cracklin bread sound delicious