Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is eith

Thread: Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is eith

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is eith

Programs can download their own updates, but IE can never download anything, I always get this message

"Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. please try again later"

E-mail attachments, drivers, IE7, WMP11, music, screensavers, you name it, IE can never "find" the site or file whereas other programs indeed download their updates.

I have swept my system for malware of all kinds, I am not an expert but I started to think it might be related to something else.

My system is Win XP home sp2 GQ computer bought at Fry's.

You may want to look at my previous thread related to this problem here

http://forums.windrivers.com/showthr...5&page=1&pp=15

Downloads and Safe ActiveX are allowed

Help!!

Since you had a bunch of bad stuff on your comp before, the IE7 files may be corrupted somehow; I suggest you remove IE7 and go back to IE6 then, if you wish, install IE7 again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927177

http://www.theeldergeek.com/repair_r...e_and_oe_6.htm

Also, I quote a poster from Experts Exchange regarding re-install of IE6:

"Comment from snazy
    Date: 12/31/2006 12:38PM PST
    Comment

Hi.Sorry for the delay I just came home.I repaired IE6 right clicking on the ie.inf, click install and follow the instractions(it asks for the windows xp sp2 cd). The file is located in C:\WINDOWS\inf.You have to enable show hidden files and folders first.But as there was nothing wrong with IE7 before that,I don't know if this is the right suggestion.And then I found another article about uninstall of IE7.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/927177

and this is if you have to uninstall it from a different user account:

Error message: IE7 must be uninstalled from the User Account that installed it - Go to the key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer.

Right click on Internet Explorer and select New String Value. Name that value InstalledByUser. The value of the new String should be your User account name."

Did you remove newdotnet from your machine martin?

Can you post a new hijack log here please?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I Have

I DID REMOVE NDN FROM MY MACHINE, I USED THEIR REMOVAL TOOL I DOWNLOADED TO ANOTHER COMPUTER, THEN TOOK IT HOME AND RAN IT. HOWEVER, TODAY, MICROSOFT DEFENDER ALERTED ME ABOUT TWO ITEMS THAT NEEDED TO BE REMOVED, GUESS WHAT IT WAS, YUP, NEWDOTNET UNINSTALL PROGRAM. C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall7_44.exe AND C:\WINDOWS\NDNuninstall7_48.exe

Well, once you have removed newdotnet, you no longer need to keep the removal tool on your computer.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile Solved, sort of

First of all, I apoogize to all the members of the board for not posting the answer before, I am really sorry.

Nothing worked, The last thing I did was a clean reinstallation of everything. I had to take my girlfriend's computer back to Fry's though coz every time I inserted the recovery CD's into the cd rom, I got this blue screen with an error that thanks to God I do not remember. So Fry's techs installed Win XP into my girlfriend's comp. From her recovery CDs that "weren't working". That was back in Feb

MY OWN computer did the same when I inserted MY OWN recovery discs into it just to see what happened. I am beggining to think it is some sort of premedited intentional thing GQ does. Anyhow, I re installed everything, and copied every file I had backed up back into My Documents and that was it. Everything was back to normal. I still now believe it was something related to the settings she used when she moved the parental controls, or something of that sort.

Thanks for all your support.
    Last edited by martin-737; July 2nd, 2007 at 11:18 PM.