Code 10 - Maxtor HD - I tried all what i know - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Code 10 - Maxtor HD - I tried all what i know

Your link doesn't allow people to view it...

Yes it's a tough lesson, and some people need to learn it more than once unfortunately. This why there are technicians and data recovery experts. If everyone backed up and the hardware always worked, we would all be out of a job!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

By the way i contacted MAXTOR in my country and they said they will try to restore the data before replacing the HD or the faulty part in the hard drive.

i hope they can.

Find below the full post description
    ----------------------------------------
    Response (TSBrian54) 01/03/2007 12:15 PM

Thank you for contacting Seagate Technical Support.

Since you are receiving the same error for this drive even after trying my suggestions and trying the drive on a different computer, that indicates the drive has failed. Therefore, the option to replace the drive (RMA) is being offered provided the drive is under warranty.

To set up an RMA online, please visit our website:
    http://www.seagate.com/support/service/

Click on Verify your Warranty and Process a New Return to start the RMA process. If you would like to call us to get an RMA for your drive, please call our warranty services line at 00.800.4.SEAGATE and choose the option for Product Return Authorization.

YOU MUST HAVE AN RMA NUMBER PRIOR TO HAVING THE DRIVE REPLACED.

If you are interested in data recovery, please check out the following article.

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...hp?p_faqid=719

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
    Seagate Technical Assistance
    Brian Cowan
    -----------
    Customer 01/03/2007 11:56 AM
    I tried it in another machine and it gave the same error.
    I tried it with all USB devices not connected and the same thing happened.

Thanks in advance for your supprt

__________________________________________________ _______________

Customer 01/03/2007 11:44 AM
    I tried it in another machine and it gave the same error.
    I tried it with all USB devices not connected and the same thing happened.

Thanks in advance for your supprt

Response (TSBrian54) 01/03/2007 11:34 AM
    Dear Customer

I'm sorry to hear that my suggestions for uninstalling this drive from Device Manager, cycling the power on the drive, and connecting the drive to a different USB port on your computer were not helpful. These problems can sometimes be caused by a device conflict so I suggest temporarily disconnecting all other USB devices from your system and performing the aforementioned steps again.

If you still have the same problem with this drive even when there are no other USB devices connected to the system and this drive will not work properly on any of the USB ports on your computer, that would indicate a problem with either the drive or something else on the system. In that case, I would suggest connecting this drive to a different system to see if you are able to access the data on this drive then. If you are able to access the data on this drive when the drive is connected to a different system, that would indicate a compatibility problem between this drive and the USB ports on your computer. The solution in that situation would be to get a USB 2.0 adapter card for this computer so the drive could be connected to that rather than a built-in USB port on the computer.

Thank you,
    Brian Cowan

Customer 01/02/2007 02:29 PM
    i tried the mentioned solution in all my USB ports and still getting the
    same result not to mention that i have other devices connected to my USB
    ports and it is working perfectly fine.
    thanks in advance for your reply, your quick support is highly appreciated,
    specially that i have loads of important data now in that drive.
    looking forward for your reply

Response (TSBrian54) 01/02/2007 01:44 PM
    Dear customer

The reason your 3200 drive is not showing up in Disk Management is that the Device Manager is reporting a code 10 error for this device. To resolve this, uninstall the drive from the Device Manager by right-clicking on it and selecting "Uninstall". Next, disconnect the drive from your computer and then disconnect the power from the drive. Wait ten seconds and plug the power for the drive back in. After about ten more seconds, connect the drive to a built-in USB port on the back of your computer to see if it can be properly recognized then. If the drive still comes up as an unrecognized device after that, I suggest performing the aforementioned steps again and then connecting the drive to a different USB port on your computer.

Thank you,
    Brian Cowan

Customer 01/01/2007 07:40 PM
    The HD is not appearing in the "Disk management" it appears in the "device
    management" only. and no where else in the computer this happened after
    i tried to recycle the power after connecting the PS 3200 the computer
    recognize it in the following sequence:
    1 - First balloon "Maxtor 3200"
    2 - Second balloon "Mass storage device"
    3 - Third balloon "the device is not working correctly"

when checking computer management, the device is appearing only in the
    device manager under the USB section and it has a yellow exclamation mark
    showing a conflict some where and the error in the properties window under
    "Device status" is (This device cannot start. (Code 10)).

I tried the following solutions:
    * recycling the power.
    * installing SP2 hot fix from Microsoft.
    * cleaning the USB ports in "safe mode" and reconfiguring them.
    * changing current drive letters for my drives.
    * checking the hard in another computer which lead to the same result
    "conflict in device manager".

__________________________________________________ _______________

Response (TSBrian54) 12/29/2006 01:16 PM
    Dear Customer

Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 drives are recognized as hard disk drives in Windows, not removable storage. Please check Disk Management to see what it shows for this drive and the space on it.

If Disk Management shows a partition on this drive and there is a drive letter but that drive letter is not appearing in My Computer, please try changing the drive letter of this drive to resolve this. Here's a link to a Microsoft article that explains how to change drive letter assignments in Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q307844

If Disk Management shows the space on this drive unallocated though, that would indicate the partition on this drive has been corrupted or deleted. Unfortunately, Maxtor does not have any software to repair or recover data from corrupted or deleted partitions. If you need to recover the data from this drive, I suggest searching on the web for data recovery software or contacting a data recovery service. Here are some links to where you can get data recovery software.

http://www.data-recovery-software.net

http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm

Once you have recovered the data from this drive or if you decide not to recover the data from this drive, the drive will need to be repartitioned and formatted to become accessible as a drive letter again. To do this, first disable your anti-virus software and close all other programs and open files. Then use Disk Management to delete the existing partition on this drive and create a new one. When formatting the new partition, select the "perform a quick format" option. If the drive is defective, the drive will not be able to be successfully repartitioned and formatted. If the drive is able to be successfully repartitioned and formatted though, the drive is fine and you should not have any more problems with it. Here is a link to a Microsoft article that explains how to use Disk Management in Windows XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q309000

Thank you,
    Brian Cowan

Customer 12/29/2006 03:40 AM
    I have Bps 3200 model "U01H500" with 500 GB of storage.
    it was working fine till today morning, the HD exists in the
    tray icon , it appears when checking the USB under the computer management > "Device manager", but it doesn't appear under the windos explorer, or my computer, or under the computer management > "Removable storage"
    so i can't access it any more !!
    I use windows XP with service pack 2.

Preliminary Response 12/29/2006 03:40 AM
    Title: I receive an I/O error or the system says that the External drive is not formatted.
    Link: https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1126282135

Title: I cannot get the OneTouch button to work and I keep getting the error “Existing Devices”…why?
    Link: https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1050708929

Title: 1394 External Storage drive stops responding in Windows XP SP2
    Link: https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1099094001

Title: Maxtor External USB Drive functionality with Buffalo USB 2.0 PCI Adapter Card in Microsoft Windows.
    Link: https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1054670958

Title: Maxtor External USB Drive functionality with the I-O Data USB 2.0 PCI Adapter Card in Microsoft Windows.
    Link: https://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ted=1054670713

Stick a note on the drive to remind them! Usually you don't get such kindness....

Glad it's going to be sorted for you
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Red face

I actually bout it from Carefour hyper market chain. so when i asked there they said they will give me a paper to write all my comments down, and what i want exactly before they send it to the company.
    --------

I will update you when they fix it - i hope they can restore the data - which is with in 2 weeks as i was told.
    --------
    Last edited by kraouf; January 10th, 2007 at 08:55 PM.

JUst had same problem solved it by changing power supply yeh!!!

Just had exactly the same problem solved it by changing power supply yeeeeh!!!
    Thanks anyhow !!!