Aptiva 2153E2A Problems

Thread: Aptiva 2153E2A Problems

Post Aptiva 2153E2A Problems

G'Day All,
    Got this problem! The system I am working on had a virus, the owner said that he got rid of it but strange things have been happenning since. System seems to work allright except when trying to get onto the net and browse. I can hook upto the ISP with no problems but 95% of the time can't read anything (page cannot be displayed. Have low level formatted and re-installed Operating system twice but still the same problem. The net through another machine to the same ISP works fine. 2 questions
    1. Is there a place in the CPU that holds instructions that could be corrupt through the virus problem encounted earlier?
    2. Is there a chipset on the MOBO that the Virus has corrupted?
    I have tried everything that I can think of, new HDD, Power Sypply, Ram, another CPU 166Mz but the problem persists

Thanks

Hope someone can help

Paul

Have you tried a different modem or tried the existing modem in a different computer , or try your computer on a different phone line ? Check your phone line for noise . After changing all of those components and doing a low level format I don't think you have any remaining virus problem .

exactley!!!!!
    http://www.compgeeks.com/images/M-Ge...4_01%20(1).gif

"It is because light travels faster than sound that some people seem brilliant until they speak...."

I always loved the quote!

Wink

You might try booting from a known virus free floppy and reflash the bios, then reboot and use the Zap and Wipe tools, http://www.windrivers.com/utility/sc...ve%20Utilities

then fdisk the HD, format and try to reinstall that should get rid of any virus.

that dont do its probably the modem.

Thanks Anna,

Flashed the BIOS and everything went OK.

Regards

Paul