Bad router??

Thread: Bad router??

Angry Bad router??

Ok this might seem like one of those obvious solutions, but bear with me - it's been a long day and I'm very tired. I just want to see if you guys agree with my diagnosis on this.

We moved a customers peer-to-peer network from their home office, to a new office downtown. They have two older computers, about 2 yrs old - WinXP Pro on both, plus they just got 2 new XP Pro desktops, 1 XP pro laptop, and a Win2k3 server. Due to a billing issue, their new 8 port VPN router hasn't arrived yet, so I took their Linksys wireless router from their home and am using it temporarily until the new one arrives.

I configured the 3 new systems and the server at my house, before taking the equipment onsite. Everything worked fine here. I got to their new office and connected all the systems together, and there's no Internet for any of the machines. I can plug the cable modem direct to my laptop, and the Internet works fine there, but not when it's plugged into the router.

I reset the router to default settings (dhcp from ISP), then reconfigured wireless security for what we had it before. It seems that all the PCs can connect to the router via Web Browser, but they cannot connect to other PCs on the network. If I try to ping the other PCs, I will get an "unknown host" error. Yet, if I go to 192.168.1.1 in a browser, it prompts me for a sign-on before I connect.

I am going back tomorrow to check out the issue again, but Im leaning towards a bad router. What do you guys think? I am going to take a spare 5-port switch up there with me, perhaps they can use that until the new router arrives next week.

Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
    "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet...."

Is the 2k3 server configured as a pdc? Is it connected? Did you stop the 2k3 server doing dhcp when you made the router the dhcp server?
    Do the pcs look for a domain? What gateway are they looking at?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I just checked - DHCP is not configured on 2k3 server. All IP handling is coming from the router.
    "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet...."

So what about DNS?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

When you logon to the router is it getting an IP from the cable modem?

Did you shut down all computers and start the server up first (it should be seen as master browser)?