Looking for a Vista Driver for your computer?

Thread: Looking for a Vista Driver for your computer?

Threaded View

Looking for a Vista Driver for your computer?

If you are already looking for a driver, it means you probably came across this post too late.

If this post is not too late then click here to run the compatibility test

So for those of you who have loaded Vista without checking click here for the hardware compatibility list

The folks over at ieXwiki have started a list of what software does and doesn't work This is not an official list, just the members experiences. Thanks TechZ for finding it!

If your device does not appear on the compatibility list and your device manufacturer does not have Vista drivers, that means there isn't one at the moment.

Will there be one?

Who knows? You can write to your device manufacturer and ask them what their plans are. If you get a reply, post in this forum and let everyone know.

Why doesn't Vista already have the drivers?

As you can see from the compatibility list, Vista already contains hundreds of drivers. If you are using something that is not there, you can not blame Microsoft! It is impossible to include every single driver for every device with Vista. The device manufacturer is responsible for writing the drivers.

My device manufacturer says there are no plans to write drivers for my device - now what do I do?

You have four options:
    1. Go back to your previous operating system that worked.
    2. Buy a new device that is supported in Vista
    3. Hire a driver programmer to write you a driver
    4. Write the driver yourself

The last two may seem flippant, but they aren't. You can hire people to do this, you can learn to do this yourself if you want to.

Isn't this just a scam to get you to buy new hardware/Software?

No. Your hardware and software worked with the operating system listed in its specification. The fact that you want to run Vista with this hardware is your choice. Vista is designed to work with new hardware and hardware currently in development.

If you have useful links or replies or updates from manufacturers, please post them below. If you want to rant about the fact that your 5 year old software/hardware is unsupported, then you can do that in the tech lounge!
    Last edited by NooNoo; February 7th, 2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."