Do I really need Vista?

Thread: Do I really need Vista?

Question Do I really need Vista?

I am running XP Pro on my main computer and XP Home on my radio shack and test computers and on a partition on one of my old Millenium computers. I am very happy with XP and have installed WMP11 and tried and uninstalled IE7 which I do not like and I have downloaded Defender and the Vista wallpaper and other effects, I don't like sidebars or gadgets so it is not WOW for me.

I watched the programme on TV about Vista and am not convinced. If I did upgrade it would be Vista Home Premium but two of my computers could run Ultimate which is what I would choose. The product is expensive in the UK and I could barely afford Home Premium upgrade let alone Ultimate.

I use my computers for web design, photoediting and downloading from digital camera, running Yahoo groups, using forums, Internet browsing and online shopping and Banking, occasional study, simple card games like Solitaire, downloading things to try out on my test computer and Telnet applications for amateur radio. So do I really need Vista? I was told by an Evesham Technology tech who has been on a Vista course that it is full of bugs and not to waste my money.
    Last edited by MorseLady; February 12th, 2007 at 06:51 AM.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

I think there isn't any compelling reason right now to switch whatsoever
    unless either you have to support it cause you sell computers or you are buying a brand new computer.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    I think there isn't any compelling reason right now to switch whatsoever
    unless either you have to support it cause you sell computers or you are buying a brand new computer.
    Exactly what Ferrit said.
    Sergeant WOTPP

I should add that I am running it atm. I do like it mostly. It has some issues with some software that is a bit annoying like quickbooks.
    Although I cant blame vista for that. MS has been warning Intuit to change the way they install deep into the windows system for years and they have finally locked them out
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

I'm in the same boat, had to install it cause where i work we need to support it. If i can get my corp image over to vista, i may go back to XP at home. My general rule is that i don't move over to a new MS OS until SP1 is out.
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I haven't installed it yet... shhhh don't tell anyone!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

2 words Action Pack
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    www.northernaurora.net

I have several copies... several builds and never any time to play
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have Vista running on one machine, because I'm in the biz and need to support it. Frankly, though, as Ferrit and Mobile have said, there just isn't a compelling reason to upgrade right now. There really isn't any hardware or software that requires Vista in order to operate. I think you can make a case that Vista running on a hybrid hard drive is pretty impressive in terms of performance, but that isn't enough to offset some of the software compatibility issues, and Vista's huge memory requirements. If this were XP SP3, and you could download it for free, I'd say get it ASAP. Otherwise wait.

Thank you for your replies. Having downloaded all the Vista goodies I can find I must say I am tempted as I have a spare high spec computer, it was my late husband's computer.

Bit of a let down when you have the official Vista wallpaper and Aurora screensaver running and WMP 11 and Defender and you fool yourself you are using Vista and then you get the XP closedown logo which brings you back to reality. I have downloaded the boot and shutdown logos not sure how to install or if it's legal to change XP that much.

The only thing I don't like is IE7 and I have gone back to IE6 which is easier to use. The geek in me wants to try Vista but not at the price they are asking here. I want Ultimate, Home Premium would do - now where's my credit card............I will wait until SP1 is released and maybe they will reduce it - dream on
    Last edited by MorseLady; February 13th, 2007 at 02:26 PM.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    2 words Action Pack
    Wuss.

MSDN Subcription
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

Is Vista immediately necessary, no. There is probably 4/5-ish years left of MS support for XP.

Is Vista inevitable, yes, that it unless you want to go to a Mac or Linux, neither which, for various reasons and to varying degrees, are entirely pratical if you must function in the world of business.

Vista will kick butt if you have it installed on a 3 GHz dual core processor, with 2 to 4 Gbs of RAM, a fast SATA drive (WD Raptor), and a fast 512 Mb video card. At this level it is reported to eat XP.

It is not compatible with many applications, but we have been through all this before with the introduction of the hardware abstraction layer in NT, an OS on which many DOS and 16 bit applications that made direct hardware calls would not run. You can't bitch about poor security on one hand, and then turn around and complain when MS tightens things up so that applications that do potentially dangerous things to the kernel and the registry can't run anymore.

Vista has creepy DRM and "big brother is watching you" features built in, and these I do not like.

But over all, my experiences with the Betas were positive (apart from driver issues). And I suspect that by the time of a second service pack, it will have proven itself to be a continuatation of the chain of improvements in stablity and security seen in the development from OS/2 through NT 3/4, Windows 2000 and XP.

Download the Vista tranformation pack here. I have used it for many months with no issues. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind