Migrating very old pc to brand new pc
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Migrating very old pc to brand new pc

Migrating very old pc to brand new pc

Here is my problem,first computer is running win 98 1n an at case with no usb & no eithernet . It has com1,serial,modem & ps2 addon card, second computer very new dell with win xp it has eithernet ,four usb ports & modem only,no serial port. The first computer has no cd burner either! I beleive my best bet is to physically move IDE hard drive from old computer but the new computer will no doubt be SATA not IDE I am open to any suggestions.I wont get the computer till 2pm today so not sure about the sata.
    Last edited by simplesolution; February 18th, 2007 at 08:37 AM.

Moving the drive is the best option, and even sata computers have ide connections for cd drives..you can commandeer one of those for a while
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

" I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Last edited by CCT; February 5th, 2007 at 07:42 PM.

Have to agree with geoscomp. You can temporarily connect the old drive to an IDE connector on the new machine and copy any data files you may need. I'd suggest installing and updating all necessary software on the new computer first, before transferring the data files. I'd also backup email, Outlook, etc. before swapping the drive and then transfer the backups to the new computer and restore them.

I would aslo be real sure you have a good antivirus installed on the new one before connecting it
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

My customer is out of town till the end of the week I will update you further then.

Be aware that the latest Dells do not have ANY IDE connectors on the motherboard (they have SATA optical drives). I got caught out in a similar situation. I thought i'd just open the case up and slave the old IDE drive off the DVD ROM as i've done many times before. I now carry a USB to IDE and USB to SATA connector with me for these sort of situations.

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GDPurple
    Be aware that the latest Dells do not have ANY IDE connectors on the motherboard (they have SATA optical drives). I got caught out in a similar situation. I thought i'd just open the case up and slave the old IDE drive off the DVD ROM as i've done many times before. I now carry a USB to IDE and USB to SATA connector with me for these sort of situations.
    Aye, I setup a new batch in our one lab a few weeks back that had no IDE connectors at all!

This one had no IDE connector either, but now has two with the help of an IDE controller. The install is done now comes the fun, moving his files from a very old version of Quattro Pro to the new Dell. I cant even find a version number for the Quattro Pro & he pre-installed his software using an external USB floppie.

Simple, I'd say you have things well in hand. There just isn't a substitute sometimes for having those odd and ends around. Things like an IDE card, SCSI adapter (and a fistful of cables), USB to Ethernet adapters and the like.

After much soul searching, I just got around to discarding some ISA 10 MB NICS with BNC connectors. No doubt this will bite me in the butt in a week or two!

Talking

I have a feeling we will be doing alot more of these type installs as SATA takes over!

I love a good curve ball once in a while, I have been asked to move a Colorado backup tape drive form the old computer as well & install it into the Dell, has anyone tried & succeeded ? This puts the backwards in backwards compatability!

If it's qic compliant, windows back up will work with it.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I am going to have to put the tape drive aside for a little bit as this other item is more importent. The old computer has alot of financial speadsheets in Corel Quattro 7 the customer has lost the cd (jewel case no cd inside) is there a way to move all this to excel in office 2003 pro the hard drive from the old computer is installed on the new computer .