Geek Squad checklist leaked!

Thread: Geek Squad checklist leaked!

Talking Geek Squad checklist leaked!

" I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    Thank you

I suppose I'd be a poor tech if I found any of this info usefull?

"Burn or eat this document after reading"

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy
    Thank you

I suppose I'd be a poor tech if I found any of this info usefull?

Not at all, I thought it pretty good. There were a lot of things I would do differently, but I'd bet everyone else here would say the same. And I would refuse to eat it even with extra ketchup!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d
    I would refuse to eat it even with extra ketchup!
    I wouldn't try it unless it was converted to an .EDF (Edible Document Format)

Wish I'd thought of that...

Useless to eat it, since it's reconverted to PDF. Overall, I thought it was a pretty good guide for a large organization employing mostly newbies. I did find it surprising that no mention was made of haruspicy as a diagnostic tool.

Lol, the comments here reminded me of a restaurant I saw on T.V that was in Chicago. The, I think he was head chef? anyway he had this modified inkjet printer that had flavored inks he would use to print on soy paper, an odd yet edible meal.

Here's a blog post at Wired http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/0..._be_a_gee.html
    and here's more Geek Squad manuals at the Consumerist http://consumerist.com/consumer/geek...als-249910.php

. . .A Distended Capacitor is an immediate service disqualifier. . .
    I guess them there Geek Squad folks don't know how to use a soldering iron. LOL
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Any checklist makes sure that something isn't forgotten, so this is a good thing. As Guts said, most of us have our own little foibles when it comes to execution, but the list as it stands is quite thorough. I always start with a backup though... saves alot of hassle later.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I don't see the section on "over charging customers for services and not actually fixing the problem".

I cannot tell you how many computers I have fixed that were supposedly recently fixed by "Geek Squad". I remember a recent customer that got charged $180 for virus/spyware removal only to have the problem return in a couple days. Geek Squad said they would come out again but it would be a separate charge. The only good thing is she happened to be a parent of one of the kids my Wife teaches and she suggested that I fix it for her. I kind of felt bad that I had to charge her another $100 to backup the little data she had on there and run the built in restore from HP.

The problem is many of the Geek Squad team members can only follow the written checklist and do not have any real tech common sense to diagnose the problems themselves.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

too many newbies, not enough experienced supervision. "Yesterday I didn't even know what an A+ Certification was! Now, I done got one!" But of course, they aren't the only business promoting the "quick and dirty in/out" service model.

But, doggone it, I'm still surprised my old remark about diagnostics by haruspicy never drew a remark. Oh, well. Haruspicy is a method of divination by reading the entrails of a sacrificed animal. So, for haruspicy diagnostics to work, you need Guts. fine. don't chuckle.

*NooNoo backs away carefully, smiling nicely at slgrieb... then runs
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Haruspicy is a method of divination by reading the entrails of a sacrificed animal. So, for haruspicy diagnostics to work, you need Guts. fine. don't chuckle.

If anyone is gonna run, it will be me!
    Last edited by NooNoo; May 25th, 2008 at 08:02 AM.