No support for MS-6579?

Thread: No support for MS-6579?

Question No support for MS-6579?

Hi, I've been trying to update most of my drivers recently and I cannot find any support for my motherboard. According to CPU-Z I have an MS-6579 motherboard by MSI with an Intel 845E chipset in a pavilion 762n (outdated, yes I know). I already checked the MSI and HP websites for motherboard driver information and found nothing. According to MSI, it doesn't even exist! Even google's results were sparse. Does anybody know where I could find a driver update for this motherboard? Thanks.

Welcome to WinDrivers, Rowdy.

Motherboards produced for system manufacturers like HP are not supported at all by the motherboard manufacturer.

HP has the drivers that are specific to that model here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...=83461&lang=en

If you are looking for updates for the motherboard chipset, Windows has native drivers that understand Intel support chips, and are updated with .INF files. The last .INF update that Intel seems to have issued for the 845 series was at the end of 2004:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...ional&lang=eng

The next release in this list (2005) no longer supports the chipset:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scri...4&submit=Go%21

So I think the December 2004 update is the latest available for the motherboard chipset.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Platypus; April 12th, 2007 at 06:22 AM.

Thank you very much, that explains a lot. The 2004 drivers may be old, but they are way ahead of the 2001 drivers I was running. I just need to get a new computer.

You're welcome. Sounds like you've got the system about as up-to-date as can be expected.

Is there a way to install those chipset drivers in W2000 before changing a motherboard to one with a chipset on the list? I have to do this since my computer does not let me use the keyboard after booting on my new board. The automated installer stops when a supported chipset is not found.

Someone else may have a neat trick, but there's nothing that I can think of. The Intel .INF installer won't let you pre-install anything, as you've found. Normally, you'd have to do a repair installation from the Win2k CD after changing the motherboard. Then run the .INF installer to update the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraser
    I have to do this since my computer does not let me use the keyboard after booting on my new board.
    You mean in Windows? I assume you can use the keyboard to access the BIOS setup at boot. If you can't, something else is going on.

I don't think the INF files will extract either without having a suitable chipset. Is it possible that anyone can do it and put a archive on rapidshare?

I've got infinst_enu.zip so I don't need to extract the files from the exe version now.

There isn't any INF files, only CAT. How can the drivers be added from them?

Did you read through the instructions in the README.TXT link on the Intel site? It gives instructions for extracting the files and other potentially useful stuff. I've never tried to do what you seem to have in mind though, so I can't say for example whether you can use the pre-OS installation procedure they give to change an existing OS installation in anticipation of a new board. I think it would probably cause more problems than it solves.

For a single transfer I'd suggest the procedure given here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125/en-us

Thats a rather dumb method compared to a simple installation of drivers before hardware. Step 7, reinstalling service packs and other updates might take a long time and give me security risks before its done.

I might try booting on a 810 chipset board because they are probably supported by W2000 and I can then install the Dec 2004 chipset drivers that covers 810 and 845 and others.

It depends on whether the OS will need things like a different HAL, if it does then you'll need to do the over-the-top re-install anyway and re-install service packs etc.

I have my problems solved now. I had another message thread called Abit BL7-RAID. I only have some memory modules that aren't working with the board to fix.