how to network a printer? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how to network a printer?

I'm not sure if this is one problem but here it is. On the vista pc in
    network>98pc>printer , when I doubleclick printer the printer doesn't show. I tried to add printer it says you do not have sufficient rights. In network>vista pc>printer when I doubleclick printer the printer name shows up as hp932c.

err the printer is attached to the vista pc, so the printer is not networked to the vista pc. The 98 pc is networked to the vista pc which has a device that is shared.

The printer drivers only are installed on the 98pc, not the printer itself. You install the printer as a local printer on the vista machine, share it and then you go to the 98 pc. The printer should not be installed locally, but should be installed using the printer installation wizard that launches when you browse to the vista computer through network neighbourhood.

So is the printer installed (locally) and online in vista - does it print a test page from the vista machine? What port is shown in the printer properties as being used?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

If you are willing to spend a couple bucks, you can just buy a network print server. It's just a small hardware device that connects to the printers printer port. Then you just connect the printer to your switch with an ethernet cable. This way the printer gets and IP address. Once you connect the printer to the network, then you just pop in the installation software on each of those PC's. Current print servers should be compatible with Vista.

Here's some:
    http://www.dlink.com/products/category.asp?cid=10&sec=0
    Hello World

In the printer properties the printer is using a usb port. I installed the printer through the network installation rather than locally. Yes it does print a test page through the vista pc. If I reading it right you saying to install the printer locally.
    Webhead if I have to go that route I will.

So if the 98 pc sees the printer, all should be well unless it's a permissions thing. How long did you leave the printer wizard? Did it error out (can take up to 10 mins)
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

when I go to network neighborhood in the 98pc click onthe vista pc and than doubleclick the printer this is what comes up
    This network printer is currently offline. You can install the printer now, but you will not be able to print to it untill it comes back online. In order to print from your ms-dos based programs,you may need to associate this network printer with an LPT port.This can be done from the printers folder after the printer is back online.

ok, so is the printer switched on and the online light showing?

Yes the printer is on and online

OK so install it on the 98 pc off line for the moment.

Then turn off the printer, reboot the vista machine and reboot the 98 machine (making sure the 98 machine comes up last). Now try it.

I can't install offline. It says I performed an illegal action.

I haven't read this whole thread yet but here's what I would do if this were me.

1> Make sure both 98 and Vista computers are connected to the switch.
    2> Make sure each one has a valid IP configuration (ipconfig /all)
    3> Ping the computers from each other to make sure they can see each other.
    4> Make sure they both are on the same "WORKGROUP"
    5> Attach printer to Vista computer and then print a test page
    6> From 98 machine, open up My Computer and in the address bar type this without quotes "\\nameofvistacomputer" or "\\ipaddress.of.vista.computer"

From there you should see whatever objects the Vista machine is sharing. Right click on the printer you would hopefully see there and then simply click on "connect" from the pop up menu.

Now if this doesn't work, then it means that Vista doesn't have the 98 drivers installed. I don't know how this works in Vista, but in XP you can just go to the properties of the printer and from one of the tabs in there, check a Win98 check box.

Anyway, not sure if this helps or hinders, but just my 2 cents.
    Hello World

It's still looking like a permissions problem. Any chance you can install the printer locally on the 98 machine and then share it for vista to use? Just as an experiment....

I installed the printer locally to the 98 machine and test printed a page. My network neighborhood in 98 doesn't see the vista machine or the 98 machine.

Does the vista machine see the 98 machine and the printer?

The vista machine does not see 98 machine or the printer. The vista machine saw the 98 machine before I disconnected the printer.