how to network a printer?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how to network a printer?

how to network a printer?

I have two desktops. One is running win98se and the other is running vista home premium. I want to network an HP deskjet 932c printer. I have a router connecting both pc's to the internet and the printer is connected to the vista pc right now. How do I get the win 98se pc to share the same printer?

You share the printer on Vista and then you can add printer in 98se and select a networked printer.. you connect to the printer by using the name of vista machine followed by the sharename of the printer eg \\myVista\myPrinter
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I need step by step instructions. No matter how I try to configure the two machines I can't get them to share the the printer.

Have you tried without any firewalls?
    Do you have file and printer sharing enabled on the vista machine?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for responding noo noo. Yes I tried without the firewall and I have printer and file enabled.

I followed the instructions and I still can't get this thing to work. The vista pc can see the win98 pc in the network and it also can see the printer it just won't let me share it.

Near the bottom of the previous link is a link about NTLM2 enabling Did you do that?

Jerry, a common problem with sharing a printer is that W9x won't recognize long printer names, and is adverse to spaces, etc. in the names. Be sure that the share name for the printer is short and sweet. Something like 932c for instance.

Edit: Sorry, I thought about this and decided you might find it all far from clear. Still pressed for time, but I'll try to hit the basics. When you share a printer, Windows 98 won't work with it with the longer names XP and Vista want to assign to printers. Under printer properties, choose a short name like in paragraph one, and then in the W98 machine, go through the add a network printer procedure.
    Last edited by slgrieb; May 8th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.

noonoo I tried that link and I still can't get it to work. Everywhere I search that link seems to be the way to go. I probably din't do It right. I'll try againand than I'll get back to you. Slgrieb I also tried your way and still nothing.
    Last edited by jerry; May 9th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.

NooNoo I enabled NTLM2 in the registry. I also renamed the printer 932c in both machines. I disabled the firewall. I have file and printer enabled. Am i missing anything?

Does the vista machine show up in network neighbourhood? Are both the vista machine and the 98 machine have short no space names? Does the 98 logon name and password have an account on the vista machine?

Yes the vista machine shows up in the network neighborhood. I'm sorry NooNoo what do you mean short no space names. 98 pc does not have logon and password account on vista.

like the printer name 932c or whatever

Naming conventions for the pcs need to be simple and have no spaces in them.

Then make an account for the 98 logon on the vista machine.

If the vista pc shows up in network neighbourhood, you should be able to double click the vista pc icon and you should see the shares - including the printer. If you then double click the shared printer icon, the 98 new printer wizard should kick in.

The vista pc shows up in the network neighborhood and and so does the printer. I made a logon account for the 98 pc on to the vista pc. When I double click the printer the wizard is freezing up. Will get back to you soon. I think we're getting close