High pitched sound from motherboard

Thread: High pitched sound from motherboard

Exclamation High pitched sound from motherboard

Hey all
    I am building a small form factor PC for my bedroom and I am using some of my old parts that are laying around
    I bought an X Q paq small form factor case and an ASRock P4VM890 micor ATX mobo
    I installed my Intel p-4 3.2 ghz socket 478 cpu 1 gig hyper x memory, My 7950 gx-2 video card , Seagate 80 gig sata drive and a new Asus sata dvd r drive with light scribe for a cpu cooler I use the big zalman flower unit, well not the fatality
    The new components are the mobo,case and dvd r drive, the rest of the components are proven used components
    The problem with this build is a high pitched sound from the moobo, this goes off and on during post as the bios detects the drives and is pretty constant right up to when the OS attempts to load, which fails since I have moved the drive from one system to the other, I get the stop error, No problem I intend to reload
    My question is, What is causing this annoying high pitched squeal, Like some one screaming or like them old tube tvs
    this is a pretty constant sound
    I removed the video card just to see and ran the on board video and no change , I am going to try another power supply and see if the screaming stops
    This thing is going in my bedroom and I can't have it sounding like this, the cat and dog will go nuts ( As well as me )
    The last time I had a noisy board something went wrong,
    I may return this board and hope the next one is better
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

High pitched squeal could be the overheat alarm...?

If not, rma time...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Nope Noo, this is an electronic sound, reminds me of the radio here at work when it was picking up the interference from my friends laptop, and I have no radios in my computer room, Just lots of 'puters
    I am going to phone the 'puter shop where I bought it, I have the RMA feeling

I had a board a couple of years ago that had a whistle from the regulators. You could hear it with the cover off the case, but it wasn't bad enough to hear over fans etc with the case closed.

If it is to the point of being annoying, I'd RMA it, but any chance of trying a different PSU just in case the one in the new box is poor and is making the motherboard regulators work real hard?

I just tried another PSU and got the same sound from the board, I think it is going back, They can deal with it
    This thing is going into a quiet bed room so I can't have this whistle

Hey format, good to hear from you. I had a similar problem that was resolved by changing the automatic cpu fan settings in the bios. I can not remember exactly what was changede tho. My noise was coming from a tiny squeaker speaker( my term) on the MB. Try changing the fan settings.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Thumbs up

Well Noo can put resolved on this post, I found the problem and have eliminated the sound from the mobo
    The problem was in a bios setting or poor implementation of Thermal throttling temperature
    I went to chipset\ Thermal throttling temperature and found it set to Auto, I disabled it and the sound is gone , I even experimented with it set at 60 c and no sounds
    The only other issue is the board sets my pc 400 memory at 333, I am going to try a bios upgrade, Hopefully I can do it without a floppy, Or I will just hang a floppy drive out the side for the upgrade
    Thanks to all for the advice, I hope this helps some one else with a screaming Asrock board

Glad to hear it, Sandwich's tip put you on the right track then.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Smile

Yes Sandwitch put me on the right track, I even got the memory running at PC 400 speed, Again thanks all for the help
    Now I am installing Windows