can't log into xp

Thread: can't log into xp

can't log into xp

PC was working fine yesterday, today when I booted it up, it is asking me for a username and password, and whatever I put in it says the domain"name of my pc" is not available. I can get into safemode without a problem. I'm running xp pro at home, no domain or anything. I tried changing the pc name, making sure it is just in a workgroup, no change. Still asks for username and password then tells me the domain is not available. I ran AVG and Spycatcher, nothing. I ran control userpasswords2 and made sure the "users must log in with username and password" wasn't checked. What the hell?
    "You've been livin' on the razor's edge, since you began to shave...
    Make sure you live, you're a long time dead, cradle to the grave"-Motorhead

I think I tried most of this already, I never had a password or set one for the administrator account so maybe I will set one and try that next. It never asks if I forgot my password, it says the domain isn't available, a useless error message. I really suspect a virus or spyware even thoughI was running AVG and Spycatcher. This is my home pc so it's never been on a domain and I never set a password since I'm the only user.

Password

I am not sure what a domain is. Is it like a network? We have a network and awhile back I reformatted My harddrive and did not apply password. Two
    days later some turkey applied password and I could not get into MY Computer. I learned from here you can go into safemode and change it back... You have been to safemode and above you stated you changed it
    again, You may have a bug (VIRUS) that is giving you woes. The great
    people here will guide you hopefully where you will not have to FORMAT

Thanks for the replies, it thinks it is on a domain. Changing hte passwords didn't make a difference, it keeps saying the domain isn't available. But there is no domain, it is set to windows default of workgroup. I know all about domains, I work in an It Department for the State and I deal with resetting passwords and lockouts all the time. I think it is time to reformat and start over, less time consuming than trying to figure out what is really going on.

Doing some reading and maybe you can go into Safe Mode, create a new user and transfer user settings then delete the old user:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

well, tried making a new account to see if that would let me in but no change, it keeps insisting that the domain, which is the same name as my pc, is not available. I changed the computer name a couple of times and each time the name of the domain changes. Well, at least I could get into safe mode and back everything up so I can format it tomorrow. Maybe I need to buy better antivirus than keep relying on AVG and Spycatcher. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

There is a difference between the domain name, the computer name and the workgroup name. There should be Nothing in the domain name box when you change the name of the computer.

A domain is a network controlled by a particular type of server, the computer logs into the domain and the domain controls what the computer is and is not allowed to do.

Have you tried just logging on as Local Admin? You should be able to choose from the drop down where the domain name is shown. If you can adapt these instructions to your case
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thanks NooNoo. I tried that, it didn't make a difference.Tried to log on as different user, administrator, no dice. And you are correct, it keeps saying the domain isn't available but that is ridiculous as well as impossible; that is why I am thinking it is some kind of virus or spyware. I am going to see if it will let me try a repair installation before I nuke the hard drive and start over, nothing to lose except an hour of time.

An hour? I did 3 repair installs this morning one after the other (don't ask why) on the trot and it only took 1 hour and 15 mins...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."