usb trouble

Thread: usb trouble

Unhappy usb trouble

i recently put together a win98se comp using a msi 6330 v2.1 jabil 2512598 oem mb. I searched the forums and found all the information I needed before I purchased this m/b feeling confident I would have no problems. (ha)
    The bios is oaavwp13 which can't be updated amd950 jaton 3dforce2mx400-64 agp4x creative s/b 16bit pci sound cnetpw2oowl ethernet 2-128pc100&1-64pc100 mem 1 60 gig wd hd cdrw floppy & powmax 300w. The problem i'm having is my usb dosen't work.I allowed gateway to identify my sys and i downloaded and installed the proper drivers.device mngr. shows no problems and recognises my usb device an hp 4300 scanner. the device mngr shows power availible at each usb port is 500ma and the scanner uses 48ma. there are no unknown devices. the scanner works fine with my other 2 comps both winxp. but on the 98 it warms the lamp but stops there. the scanner prog dosen't freeze I can close it with no problems. I tryed connecting a usb printer and it won't work either. I tryed erasing the hd (guttman swipe) and reinstalling win & thedrivers. I tryed a pci usb card (1.0-2.0) I tryed disabling the onboard usb with the device mngr and thru the bios. I disconected the upfrount usb ports. I tryed moving the usb card in all the other slots without the sound or ethernet card. i removed the usb drivers and installed only the usb card drivers. If i go into sys info /other devices/ i can se the scanner. if i disconect the scanner the info disapears,but quickly reapears after reconecting the scanner
    I spent hours with gateway and they say its drivers(I've tryed using all the old& new drivers) For the last 3 weeks I've been trying solve this with Hp.but i'm not getting anywhere. I have a wireless usb microsoft key board& mouse that uses only 1 usb connection the keyboard works but the mouse dosen't.
    I can' think of anything else.
    thanks JJ56

On your usb connection on board, With my intel board it goes for left bank

1 Power 3 D- 5 D+ 7 ground (Right bank) 2 Power 4 D- 6 D+ 8 ground you may have miswiring problem. Did you receive install book with your MB???

The MSI 6330 is more commonly called the K7T Pro;

The mobo manual downloads an exe that extracts when run into 4 pdfs - pdf #2 has your mobo usb pinout.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?f...04&type=manual

Welcome to Windrivers JJ56

You need to read this!

98se either works with usb or it don't and you have to jump through several flaming hoops without a safety net. There is a ton of information and fixes at that site... do them one at a time and stop when it works!

From what you have said though, it sounds like the onboard usb ports are not supply enough power - is the scanner separately powered?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

thank you NooNoo I installed the unofficial service pack now the scanner works. I'm ready for the next problem

-JJ56

Next problem?

Glad to help!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."