STORAGE NEWS: Samsung Quietly Ships 1TB Hard Disk Drive

Thread: STORAGE NEWS: Samsung Quietly Ships 1TB Hard Disk Drive

STORAGE NEWS: Samsung Quietly Ships 1TB Hard Disk Drive

Samsung Electronics has quietly started to ship 1TB storage solutions that use much more advanced media that any other products of the kind on the market. Samsung's SpinPoint F1 hard disk drives not only bring Samsung into the club of 1TB HDD suppliers, but also mark the company's leadership in magnetic media technologies. SpinPoint F1 1TB uses just three 334GB platters, a record in both areal density as well as platter capacity. By contrast, 1TB drives from Hitachi and Seagate use five 200GB and four 250GB platters, respectively.

The SpinPoint F1 1TB hard disk drives are equipped with 7200rpm motors, 16MB or 32MB cache (depending on the model) and are designed for Serial ATA-300 interface with native command queuing. The manufacturer declares 8.9ms average read seek time and 4.17ms average latency. The new drives are equipped with a set of Samsung's proprietary technologies that lower acoustics levels and improve performance. Besides 1TB hard drives, SpinPoint F1 family also includes 320GB, 500GB and 750GB models. Suggested retail price is unclear.

I've always found Spinpoint drives to be quiet, cool, and reliable (though not the fastest performers around). Frankly, I just don't understand why Samsung doesn't do more to market hard drives.