Compaq Presario 6000 - dead CPU?

Thread: Compaq Presario 6000 - dead CPU?

Compaq Presario 6000 - dead CPU?

Hello techies,

I am currently working on a Compaq Presario 6000 with an AM37 mobo in it. The system had a dead mobo originally, but I have a new one in it now. The problem is, it boots for a few seconds, all fans turn, then it shuts down (no video). After that, you have to unplug it and plug it back in for it to startup again. This is with a new and tested good power supply, and all cards pulled, floppy unhooked.

Also, when you plug in the power cord, it automatically starts up (no pressing the power button).

This system has a Athlon 2200 in it. I have tried with a different RAM chip, but same results. Have not tried diff CPU yet (don't want to toast one).

Any suggestions? I hate AM3* boards. Such junk....

AW
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

I would suspect a bad connection of the heatsink / fan and the processor, as it sounds like the heat is turning off the power to save the processor. Did you use thermal paste or a thermal pad? And make sure that the HSF isn't cocked awry on the socket. I would also try another power supply if that isn't the problem as I have seen power supplies tempermental like that in the past. Good luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Have you tried clearing the CMOS in case it's set to un-bootable parameters?

compaqs, I know from experience, have good diagnostics, they will shut down if they detect errors in the hard drive, cd drive or other attached hardware. Pull everything and then see if it will boot and stay alive as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

update - I put in a another new power supply. Unhooked everything for clean boot. Hit the power button, heard my monitor flicker like it was getting a signal. OK, that's normal (didn't actually look at the monitor, mind you). So, unplugged, hooked everything back up. Hit the power switch. Back to staying on for a few seconds, then shutting down. No video. It will not power up again unless I unplug the power supply and re-plug it back in.

I have cleared the CMOS also.

Any more suggestions?
    "It is very dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

wild idea but you said you put a new mobo in...check and see if you are are grounding out somewhere

And have you booted it with nothing but ram and video connected?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."