WiFi Origin of Router
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WiFi Origin of Router

WiFi Origin of Router

I am not sure if anyone can answer this, but I must have a neighbor that has a wide open wireless network. I am able to connect to the network and even get into his router because he has the standard user/password. I am not trying to do anything malicious, I would just like to find the source so I can go to them and explain to them that their network is insecure and offer my services (for a fee of course) and put some sort of WEP or WPA encryption and change the router access password. Seeing as I have never done anything like this I don't know where to begin other than I assume I need some sort of wireless mapping application or something. If there is anything I can do please let me know. If not then I guess I will have to leave it alone.

Thanks.

BOB IROC
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

If it's that open, then see if you can see the other computers and a shared printer... then print to their printer with instructions!!

Failing that, put leaflets through the door of any neighbour within 300 feet unless you want to get into triangulation...
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Try this

Might show you the direction it's coming from...

Only the pro version does.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    If it's that open, then see if you can see the other computers and a shared printer... then print to their printer with instructions!!
    At one time I did see a computer, but not a printer. I will keep checking and if I do I just may do that.

Failing that, put leaflets through the door of any neighbour within 300 feet unless you want to get into triangulation...
    I thought about that but I didn't want to advertise that there was an open network. The SSID is "mikes network" so at least I know the owners name is Mike so maybe that will help narrow it down.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

If you can see the computer, then put instructions on his desktop!!

Or... ..

put up a webpage with instructions and modify the routing table in his router to access your webpage when he tries to access for example google or another site thats used often...

(No, I dont mean for Bob to really do this, just a joke.)

/Jonas
    I read your e-mail........

Well, Bob, if you can log onto the router as an administrator, you can mess with them to your heart's content. You can enable encryption, choose the type, and set a key, effectively locking them out of the Internet.

Or, alternatively, you could just go over and say something like "I'm sure you're not aware of this but let me show you something." Demonstrate the level of access you have from your own computer, and do it just because they need to know. And, because they need to realize that you aren't just an opportunistic, money-grubbing mercenary, but a professional who truly cares about his clients (current or potential) needs and concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Well, Bob, if you can log onto the router as an administrator, you can mess with them to your heart's content. You can enable encryption, choose the type, and set a key, effectively locking them out of the Internet.

I don't want to mess with them, I just want to help and maybe make a few extra $ in the process. I didn't have time to check tonight to see if I can get access to a printer or computer. But if I do I may do the print out thing or leave a file on the desktop or something.

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a money-grubbing mercenary; you just don't want to be perceived as one It hurts business!

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being a money-grubbing mercenary; you just don't want to be perceived as one It hurts business!
    Well that is why I will inform them of their open security hole and state that I am qualified to fix it for them and if they refuse then they can take the risk of someone stealing their info. But I am not going to do it for free. Only my family and close friends get free technology services (which they abuse frequently)

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    Only my family and close friends get free technology services (which they abuse frequently)
    Man ain't that the truth
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC
    Only my family and close friends get free technology services (which they abuse frequently)
    You too huh?

Only the pro version does.
    I don't see anything but a free version on their site

heheh install the free version