Windows XP clean install
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP clean install

Unhappy Windows XP clean install

A few months ago I had a problem getting install to let me delete and partition the drive and I am having the same problem with another computer. After several attempts to do a clean install I ended up with three copies of Windows on one of my data partitions and had to transfer all my data to the other data partition so I could delete the partition.

I now have a corrupt copy of Windows XP Pro on my system drive and boot and other problems and keep getting a blue scrteen telling me Windows is closing down to protect my computer that I have a hardware or software problem and it is dumping my memory to disc.

I phoned the computer shop and she said it sounded like it was nothing I had done but that I might have corrupt reinstall disc. The disc goes straight to installing files without letting me choose the partition and delete and format. I must do this in order to be able to get a clean and non corrupt copy of Windows.

Please no compicated instrtuctions, those of you who0 know I did MCP coursers forget it as I am still in mental breakdown after losing my husband and have gone a bit senile so easy beginner instructions please.
    SMOKING KILLS! If you smoke, give it up now whilst you have the choice

On your GOOD comp, download this:

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

Read about it here:

http://www.killdisk.com/screenshots.htm

Make the bootable disk and clean that other drive right up - then Install.

Thanks but I don't want to kill my disk and I have been suggested this killdisk thing before it does not work I do not understand I repeat I am in the throes of a nervous breakdown and my mind has gone it I want to format and do a clean install and make the OEM Windows XP disk allow me to do this. When I boot from it I do not get the option to delete and format the partition and it just goes on and installs another copy of Windows on the system partition or even on a logical partition and it does not ask me.

I am going to have one more try if not I am going to take it to the shop because it is driving me mad and fifty quid is cheap for peace of mind. She said use another XP disk but my others are an OEM XP Home and a retail XP Home and I want to reinstall XP Pro on this computer which it runs.

No more replies please delete this thread it is driving me mad I should not have aksed it is just makming it worse. All I wanted to know is why my Windows XP disk won't let me format and choose where to install Windows.
    Last edited by MorseLady; July 3rd, 2007 at 06:13 PM.

Calm down woman!

You can use an XP Home cd to delete the partitions, format and install the XP home.

Then shut down and start again with the XP Pro cd.

CCT if you told me "to calm down woman" i'd slap you.. ..

morse lady.. a work around thats not conventional.. stick in win 98 boot disk with fdisk on it .. delete partitions and create new ones and then format.. they will be in fat 32 but then when you stick the xp cd in it should then offer to format in ntfs

I've done it before.. I guess its not the right thing to do but it worked for me
    Last edited by Mayet; July 4th, 2007 at 10:15 AM.
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Quote Originally Posted by Mayet
    CCT if you told me "to calm down woman" i'd slap you.. ..
    Calm down lady?
    Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to frappé...

Mayet, it really isn't all that satisfying to slap someone when so many common household objects (books, pots and pans, etc) are so much more satisfying. As my daddy said, "Son, if you are going to hit someone, make it count. Always hit his soft parts with your fist, and his hard parts with a hard object." This simple, homely advice has never failed me.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
    Calm down lady?
    I won't go into glorified detail on the rationality of Condescending texting on bulletin boards, nor a lecture on the danger of subversive misogynistic undertones creeping into speech or even on the subtle discrepancies of grammatical speech between one noun and another which therefore changes the context of the statement at hand ... let alone discuss the sanctity of respect, freedom and justice for all...

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Mayet, it really isn't all that satisfying to slap someone when so many common household objects (books, pots and pans, etc) are so much more satisfying. As my daddy said, "Son, if you are going to hit someone, make it count. Always hit his soft parts with your fist, and his hard parts with a hard object." This simple, homely advice has never failed me.
    ok.. hmm homely advice I love

*peers down at wooden rolling pin in hand .. CCT where are you

Run, CCT!! ( Guts3d ducks as well )
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Thanks CCT and Mayet, will try your suggestions and let you know how I get on. CCT please go easy on me, I hate being called woman for a start, I am 66 and lost my husband 7 months ago and even little things can have me in tears or worse.

Angie

Hey morselady I am sorry to hear that I didn't know. Losing a loved one is having a piece of you ripped away that can never be replaced. It's the little things that keep you going and get you smiling again, memories, sunrises, family and friends, flowers and cute tiny furry animals (barring rats, mice and anything else with sharp teeth and pink eyes.) ...Keep your chin up ..

CCT front and centre for a huge apology for upsetting one of the nicest ladies around.

Just because you and slgrieb threatened physical violence by innuendo is no reason for you to apologize.

As far as Angie is concerned, if the term 'woman' hurt you, if you want an apology then sorry for that.

At least you calmed down.

One of these days CCT will get it. Until then, don't hold your breath.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Angie, if you are stuck, you have my email, send me your phone number and I can try and talk you through ok?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."