How to add one computer to a LAN

Thread: How to add one computer to a LAN

How to add one computer to a LAN

OK guys, this turned out more difficult than what I thought. One of our computers at work crashed. The tech took it home to fix it, today he just droped it off and had to go. I tried to connect it to the LAN, but the wizard says it cannot do it. When I click on properties it says it is connected, but when I try to open up a browser it gives that message that "the page cannot be displayed"
    Help me out?
    How do I get it to connect to the Internet?

No Lan

Quote Originally Posted by martin-737
    I tried to connect it to the LAN, but the wizard says it cannot do it. When I click on properties it says it is connected, but when I try to open up a browser it gives that message that "the page cannot be displayed"
    1. Are we certain that the correct drivers have been loaded for the LAN/WIFI hardware?

2. What did he do to it at home? Reinstall Win or patch job?

3. Did you attempt to check the status of your hardware in cmd window?

Start > Run 'cmd' (dos window)
    type - ipconfig /all

Are you sure your windows settings for the LAN Device are correct?

Hope I didn't dig to deep for you. Just send out more details if you know them and I'll try.

Vic

Red face Solved (almost)

I believe what the guy did was a complete clean install. Those computers are dell optiplex GX 50 for which nobody has the cd, if we had, we could have recovered the system ouresleves. We lost ALL files.

What I did was go to the >Local Area Connections, blued the Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) click properties and set the IP Address, Subnet Mask and Default Gateway manually (They were set to Obtain an IP address automatically) I also set the Use the following DNS server addresses which were also set to automatic. I copied them in paper from the other computers and then put them up in mine. Now, in the IP address field I assigned the last set of numbers arbitrarily, you know? those numbers run like xxx.xxx.xxx. I noticed that it was the only thing that changed from computer to computer. I think I set it to .50 (I am at home now, I do not remember) and it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!! wheee!!!! I was able to download and install the required components from the sites we use the most.
    BUT....
    All pages seem to display properly except msn.com, it always has that yellow triangle with the exclamation mark (!) in it saying, done but with errors on page. But if I go to the Hotmail link, the triangle is not there any more. It is pretty, pretty close enough, I guess.

So far that seems to be the only uncomfortability. I foresee that other sites that recognize IP addresses from the computers that are trying to access them will not allow me to open them, since the IP address changed in the last set of numbers, what I think I am going to have to do is call the support service of such site and ask them to allow my computer to access. It would not be the first time we make a call of that nature from the office.
    Gimme your feedback

BUT....
    All pages seem to display properly except msn.com, it always has that yellow triangle with the exclamation mark (!) in it saying, done but with errors on page. But if I go to the Hotmail link, the triangle is not there any more. It is pretty, pretty close enough, I guess.
    That sounds like a script or xml error. Once you are online enough and your IE7/IE6 updates load some of those may correct automatically. Otherwise you may need to check your security settings on this computer with one of the others on the network.

Glad to here you got it working though.

Vic

go to windows updates and download all updates

download JAVA and flash

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/win_auto.xml
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/downl...ShockwaveFlash
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666