Rebooting Loop

Thread: Rebooting Loop

Rebooting Loop

I am working on a friends Presario 6300. It seems to be in a rebooting loop. I cannot boot into windows at all, including safe mode.
    I finally was able to get into the "F8" section to disable the rebbot on error and came up with the following...

STOP: C0000139 {entry point not found} the procedure entry point rtlencodepointer could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll

I was unable to fins this error on a google search.
    I had an extra Hd laying around and I was able to put WinXP onto this HD and hooked up the existing HD as a slave and was able to boot up. at that time I scanned for virus's and the HD came up clean.

I am about ready to completely reformat, unless someone has some advise.

Thanks

That error is all over the internet. What OS is it that is on the compaq?

It appears that this is caused when something is removed such as a service pack or hotfix and that particular piece needs to be reinstalled by way of the recovery console. You may want to just try a system repair.
    Last edited by Kodiak; July 5th, 2007 at 08:50 PM.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak
    That error is all over the internet. What OS is it that is on the compaq?
    The comaq has windows XP on it.
    My google searches came up with plenty of similar error messages, but none that include "rtlencodepointer". I'll have to look again, maybe I missed something. I have been at this for most of the day today, so I'm probebly a little brain-dead

Does it have sp2?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Does it have sp2?
    Honestly, I am not sure if it has SP2 or not, and I'm not sure how to tell. I can only look at the HD as a secondary drive.
    right now, I was finally able to get the "repair" choice, It wasnt giving me that option before.. So Im trying that now....

There are two repair choices, you want the one that is offered when it's showing the partitions... the first one involves learning recovery console.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    There are two repair choices, you want the one that is offered when it's showing the partitions... the first one involves learning recovery console.
    OK, so I can actually boot up now
    First, I booted into the FIRST repair choise with the XP CD. From there, I copied the NTdll.dll file from the CD and replaced the existing file in the i386 folder.
    After that I was able to go into the other repair section. The section where you boot from the XP CD and hit enter, then F8 (to agree to the terms). When I did this earlier, it did not give the repair option. After replacing the ntdll.dll file, it allowed me to repair the existing copy of windows.
    I did get a BSOD twice after this (Bad_Pool_Caller). But it has not showed up again after several reboots....We will see what happens.
    Now to get this onto the internet and start cleaning things up....
    UGH, why do i repair these things?

Not for the money that's for sure!