Gigabyte MB Ga-965P-DQ6 Bios Xpress2 HELP - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte MB Ga-965P-DQ6 Bios Xpress2 HELP

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    I haven't used Xpress2 myself, but from what I've been able to find so far, seems like what should have happened is that a Host Protected Area (HPA) would be reserved at the end of the drive, the BIOS then notices this and offers the F9 recovery option at boot. It's also possible there could be a modification to the MBR (Master Boot Record) which may be what's interfering with other recovery software.

A couple of things that might give us clues:

Does the BIOS offer the F9: Xpress Recovery option during boot-up?

Does the capacity of the hard drive seem to have dropped (maybe something like 8GB seems to have "gone missing")? Alternatively, if you boot up from the Xpress installation CD again, what options does it offer? If the "Remove" button is enabled, that means there is an HPA established with a recovery file in it. This could be reversed with a HDD utility like HDAT2, and the partition expanded back out into the unallocated space.

Once the HPA is removed, the BIOS may stop offering the recovery option. If not, we could try a rebuild of the MBR, but it's best to know that this is really required before doing it, in case it upsets something else...

If there appears to be no HPA set up, it may still be an MBR modification in effect.

I do have the F9 ability. I tried it but it tells me I dont have enough room to use Express Recovery2. (because I never made a partition for it when I put OS on HD)

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    I think Xpress Recovery 2 isn't very sophisticated. You have to allocate a partition for its recovery files to use the program, but everything I've seen online suggests that the recovery partition can be reformatted or eliminated and the system runs just fine, but XPress Recovery isn't actually removed. I really want to know what Autoruns shows in the Boot Execute tab.

As I see it, the worst case scenario would be reformatting the drive and flashing the BIOS back to the original version. Can't get much worse than that, right? Platypus, your input is certainly appreciated, cause I'm about out of ideas.

MY PC runs great. I dont want to reformat my HD. Toooooo much stuff on it to do again. Just need to off that xpress thing.

Boot Execute shows only something that says "Auto Check"
    Last edited by GNO; July 29th, 2007 at 02:16 AM.

"Driver CD" does not exist on my system. In fact I didnt see anything that could be part of xpress Recovery2.

Its strange how there is no evidence of the program but yet I did install the CD drivers and can use F9 to activate it.

Wow, who knew this would be such a chalenge.

I wrote Gigabyte again. I hope they actually read my question this time. I kept it very simple I only wrote, "How do I uninstall xpress Recovery2?

Ill let you know what they say if I ever get a reply.
    Last edited by GNO; July 29th, 2007 at 02:17 AM.

Hang in there GNO! This is one of the most intriguing things I've done in days. Platypus, I read the same link about removal early in the game, but I still believe the source of interference with Rollback has to be software. This isn't a system restore option using a static recovery partition like you find on HPs and Compaqs.

Platypus, I think you had a great point about the program activating a BIOS option rather then modifying the BIOS, but there isn't anyway to verify it short of flashing the BIOS and seeing what happens. Again referring to HP, I've seen many machines where the customer has installed GoBack and it doesn't conflict with HP's recovery procedure.

So, do you think it is possible that all of this could be resolved by something as simple as booting to the Recovery Console and running fixmbr?

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    So, do you think it is possible that all of this could be resolved by something as simple as booting to the Recovery Console and running fixmbr?
    I think from what GNO has told us, that would be my next line of approach if I was working on the system.

I updated Bios and for ****s and giggles I updated xpress Recovery2 also.

Everything still the same.

Recovery Console and running fixmbr? Whats that or how does it work?

If you boot from your XP CD, one of the options is to repair Windows using the Recovery Console. You have to choose the Windows installation you want to work with (generally 1) type the Administrator's password (just press ENTER if there is no password) and when the command prompt appears type fixmbr and press ENTER. Exit the console, reboot, and you are done.

If it all turns out to be so simple, I'll eat a grasshopper. GNO, a detailed explanation of the console can be found at here

My reply from Gigabyte went something like this,

"After selecting restore from the utility, it should recover".

Im not sure what that means.

Any ideas?

Im at work now but first chance I get Ill give it a shot.

Although when I think about it, the manual sounded like I was to create the second partition for xpress recovery2 when I put the O.S. on the HD. Now Im unerstanding that by activating the recovery function of xpress recovery2 that it will automatically create the partition needed?

If that fixes xpress recovery2 then I guesss Im still stuck with it.

I really would just like to use Rollback rx v8.

The two can not coexist on my system.

Still dont know how to remove xpress Recovery2...

Thanks everyone for your input.
    Last edited by GNO; August 1st, 2007 at 04:59 AM.

Well, GNO, nobody else seems to able to get rid of it either. My reading of the manual is that the recovery partition has to be set aside before installing the program. On the other hand, it's hard to see things becoming more fouled up.

GNO, did you ever try fixmbr?

Quote Originally Posted by GNO
    My reply from Gigabyte went something like this,

"After selecting restore from the utility, it should recover".

Im not sure what that means.

Any ideas?

I didnt get a restore option. So that info is bogus. lol

Funny story now with all this.

I cr ashed my PC pretty hard messing around with all. I had to use OS cd to fix boot. If I had Rollback or xpress 2 working it would of been an easy fix. lol

My replies from Gigabyte are from someone that cant read english. So I give up. Just cant use anything.

All I can say is. Dont Buy Gigabyte. Very poor support.

Thanks again you guys.