laptop upgraded but not any faster

Thread: laptop upgraded but not any faster

laptop upgraded but not any faster

Dell Latitude C610
    Windows XP Pro

I recently replaced the hard drive because it sounded like it was dying plus the response time seemed sluggish. With the new hard drive, it seemed to move a little faster. Next, I upgraded the memory from 512Mb to 1Gb but it doesn't seem to be running any faster. I was wondering if the BIOS should be updated since it's still running on the factory installed version. If anyone has any other suggestions then I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

Increasing the amount of memory will only make a system seem faster if it was running out of available real memory with the smaller amount, and utilising the hard drive via the pagefile. 512M is a comfortable amount of memory for XP, and if your average requirement is less than that, having the extra doesn't have anything to speed up. If you do some very demanding work like heavy multitasking or handling huge graphics or audio files, then having the extra memory could save slowdowns.

If you still feel the system is sluggish, have you checked for malware?

another thing that could be slowing it down is every computers immortal enemy...heat is it overheating? touch the bottom of the laptop if it is hot to the touch you could be overheating. warm is ok hot is not

Laptops/Notebooks/PDA Mod 3fingersalute's Avatar
    A C610, isn't that a PIII model? If so, you've pretty much upgraded it as much as possible and unless you have something else going on like mentioned above (malware, heating issues) you may just be getting top performance out of it already. XP SP2 isn't real snappy on a PIII machine, even with 1GB of RAM.

One thing people lose sight of in upgrading, and in interpreting benchmarks, is the difference between "computer time" and "human time". The memory upgrade will certainly make some applications run better and give you a bit peppier system in general, but it would take a really big improvement in processor speed, memory perfomance, drive performance, etc. to make enough difference to be significant in "human time".

After the memory & new hard drive were installed, I checked if there were any unnecessary services or processes running within Windows Xp. (Yeah, I know that sounded funny) I turned off a few services but no huge difference was apparent.

I've scanned with AdAware, Ewido, & SpyBot. Nothing sexy was found. HD doesn't require defragmenting, & I upgraded the BIOS so the capacity was properly displayed in the CMOS menu. This laptop's bottom isn't hot so I know she isn't running a fever.

What boggles me is that I have an old desktop armed with an AMD Athlon 950Mhz cpu, 512Mb of SDRAM, & a hd that's been frozen & thawed that could kick this laptop's ***. Also, it's running with a cheap PC Chips motherboard that came from my 1st barebones kit. This upgraded laptop isn't funeral procession slow but I was hoping to see more zip after installing the upgrades. Oh well.....

did you reinstall Intel speed step and if you did what is it set at? Ithink the processor is running at half speed

According to Intel, the SpeedStep driver is already installed with Windows XP.
    Therfore, I did not install it myself. If I did something wrong or forgot something then please correct me.

http://www.intel.com/support/process.../CS-007509.htm

I think markduren2458 meant that the SpeedStep needs to be either defeated when on battery OR you always run on AC to ensure max speed of the cpu.

I would also be interested in what antivirus you are running. Hopefully NOT Norton or McAfee.

I'm using Norton Systemworks 2005. I know it's a memory hog. What alternative do you suggest?

What you can TRY is to get rid of Norton, install AVG Antivirus, Antispyware and AntiRootKit (all free) as well as Ad-Aware and Spybot Search and Destroy and set ONLY the AV to run continuously and use the others every 2nd or 3rd day.

One of Noo Noo's favourite recommends was/is A-Squared as an overall checker as well as one of my favourites, HijackThis.

Only the AV uses system time - really cits down on lag.

I would recommend you install ALL as Administrator then use your named account.

edit: I am a GREAT believer in router protection - if you don't have one, get one.

A friend of mine just installed AVG & said that it found more infections than Norton a/v did. Only reason why I use Norton is because I like Systemworks 2005. Can't tell you how many things I fixed with it & how well it has protected my 3 computers. However, since you & Noo Noo recommended it, then I shall try it. I've just met you but Noo Noo has never steered me wrong.

'However, since you & Noo Noo recommended it, then I shall try it. I've just met you but Noo Noo has never steered me wrong.'

Hold your frigging horses!!!!

I said she recommended A-Squared, NOT getting rid of Norton and the other stuff.

DO NOT MISQUOTE ME!

thx

Dang! WEPrechaun! I just really can't remember being called overly subtle. In general I believe it is far better to be rude, crude, tactless, and blunt than misunderstood. Yet, I guess I've achieved a new milestone.

If you re-read Platypus' and 3Finger's posts (and mine) what we are trying to say is that the additional memory WILL NOT MAKE A LARGE DIFFERENCE IN OVERALL PERFORMANCE. If someone told you it would be a big boost, they were mis-informed. If you just hoped the extra memory would be a major performance improvement, your expectations were, unfortunately, unrealistic. If you want a significantly faster laptop, you are going to have to buy a new one. It isn't a matter of settings, drivers, etc. Sorry, but painting racing stripes on a forklift won't make it a NASCAR contender. If you run memory intensive apps like Photoshop the extra memory will be a real benefit. Otherwise, what you are seeing is about all you'll get.