Another Strange One

Thread: Another Strange One

Cool Another Strange One

Startup my PC up last night, (Abit KT7 Mobo/Athlon Thunderbird 800/Asus V7100 Ge-Force 2 MX video card), post screen did not display my CD-RW or DVD-Drive. Strange, thought I. Checked the BIOS - Yes definately connected. Oh, well. Reset the PC - Nothing, no beeps, the power is on, but no-one is home.

Damn (or words to that effect), checked all the cables, tried just the power and video - zip, nothing, dead.

Opened the case, disconnected the hard disk, floppy disk, etc. Nope. Tried to re-seat video card. Ah, we have lift off. Right now shut down PC and reboot....ARRRAGGGHH.

OK, think. It seems to work if you disconnect the power cable, leave it for a few seconds then boot the PC. Luckly I have another PC, so checked the Abit website, downloaded the latest BIOS and flashed it.

Started up without any problems and has been fine ever since. Has anyone else come across this problem - would it be a corrupted BIOS? Would a virus cause this? Is it a problem with this model of motherboard.

The problem seems to be fixed, but I would be interested to know what caused it.
    Good day to be alive, sir
    Good day to be alive he says, yeah

Originally posted by Geek #1:
    . Has anyone else come across this problem - would it be a corrupted BIOS? Would a virus cause this? Is it a problem with this model of motherboard.

The problem seems to be fixed, but I would be interested to know what caused it.
    I do it every day ... Yeah, virus like Win95.CIH could erase BIOS chip as well as power surge. Some of BIOS chips aren't reliable enough itself, though...

I've never really heard of this, but I will be seting up my new system next week with an Abit KT7 motherboard. If this comes up, I'll know what to do
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.