Half-Height PCIe Cards

Thread: Half-Height PCIe Cards

Half-Height PCIe Cards

Does anyone know of any higher-end, half-height PCIe video cards?

I know that higher-end and half-height don't normally belong in the same sentence. But....

The user has a slim-line desktop (as opposed to mini-tower) box. There is probably just enough room for a full-height or near-full height card in the case. The problem is that the case will only accept half-height brackets. And most higher-end cards have so many doodads (high-tech term) hanging off the back end of the card that there is no way you could fit them all on a half-height bracket.

The user has his heart set on a 512 Mb card, nVidia rather than ATI.

I suspect that he is heading for heartbreak or a new system.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

What do you call high end?
    What does it have to have?
    cnet shopper page takes ages to load, but has a few on ads on the right (fireMV) as well as the x1300 dual dvi half height.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I have seen some cards that have both brackets, and so can be normal or half height.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

You'll have to clarify what you mean by high end. Most of the really powerful gamer cards are just too wide to be compatible with a half height/low profile bracket. I have searched for half height cards in the past because most of the computers here at my school are desktops with LP slots and since many of our Administrators are starting to use dual monitors they needed upgraded video cards. In my internet travels I have never seen anything I would consider higher end. Maybe ATI X1600 or a GeForce 8500 would be the highest I have seen, but those are more mid-level if anything. If he is looking to put a GeForce 8800 series in there or something he may be SOL.

For Example this GeForce 8500GT with 512MB is a low profile card
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...361&CatId=1826

Probably comes with a bracket that will allow you to take the secondary monitor port and place it in another slot or something.

ADDED NOTE: One other thing you have to consider is the PSU in that slim desktop. I have never come across a slim desktop that had an adequate power supply to run a high end card either. Unless it was a custom built, most OEMS are lucky to give you 250 Watts and even that 8500GT I listed above says it needs 350Watts or higher.
    Last edited by BOB IROC; September 11th, 2007 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Added Note:
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Thanks, all.

It isn't really my problem, anymore. So no worries.

I was aware of the power issues, but .....

It is hard to find higher-end (there I go again with those non-specific terms) low-profile cards here, most of them are budget items. And most of them don't come with the adapter brackets necessary to mod them for a haif-height case.

Oh well...

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!