Fixed: Microtech HD25 or HD50 USB SCSI now working on Win XP

Thread: Fixed: Microtech HD25 or HD50 USB SCSI now working on Win XP

Hybrid View

I'm trying to determine if the XpressSCSI is not obviously broken with minimal effort since others have had great difficulty getting this adapter to work.

I have reason to believe it will NOT work with the Iomega ZIP 100 Plus drive which is the only drive I have. I don't have a JAZ drive which is known to work.

This is further clouded by the XpressSCSI "getting its power" from the SCSI "terminal pin" (which implies it does not get it from the 5V USB pin) in which case one might speculate that "if you plug the cable into a USB port, nothing will happen."

I consulted the local PC repair shop and the owner (one-man shop, owner is very good at his craft) said the cable was bad because there is no response from a PC when the cable is inserted.

However, just thinking now, if you plug a ordinary USB cable into a PC, nothing also happens.

So now I'm thinking maybe I DO have to have a proper device connected to the XpressSCSI to have the PC respond to it. If this is the case and the drivers are not present, the "Unknown Device" balloon (and "USB Device Sound") should happen.

So now I'm left with does the ZIP 100 Plus work with this adapter which I think the answer is no.

Maybe I have to get a JAZ drive for cheap on eBay to test cable? Or is there some kind of list of devices that work? Read in some other thread the determining factor is what is done with the "terminal pin" by such a device. (And also noted that one may or may not be able to chain SCSI devices of a certain type on this adapter - that only once device can be connected.)

So for now, I'd like to stick with the original question: If I plug the cable into a PC, should the PC respond to it?

Thanks
    Tom

PS. OCD (haha) is making me look for a JAZ drive now on eBay.
    Last edited by MrCreosote; February 16th, 2017 at 12:11 PM.