Computer not booting up
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer not booting up

Question Computer not booting up

Running 98 se
    Press the power button the computer start running the green light comes on as does the orange light. The orange light goes out about 2 second later.
    There is no beeps but you do hear it try to boot for a second. Nothing shows up on the monitor. You hear the computer running. Now what is running I'm not sure. I got it to boot up once then it froze up while using it.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Will it boot with a Windows install disk in the cd/dvd ? Can you get into Bios?

One of the first things that comes to my mind is the power supply judging by the symptoms.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

That or the video card is dying.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Monitor

I have the same monitor running on another computer.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

OK, so assuming the monitor cable is not separate, that means that the monitor and cable are good. That leaves the video card, or power supply or motherboard or... well you get the idea. You need to start eliminating one thing at a time. Are you up for dismantling your pc?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Dismantle Here I come

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    OK, so assuming the monitor cable is not separate, that means that the monitor and cable are good. That leaves the video card, or power supply or motherboard or... well you get the idea. You need to start eliminating one thing at a time. Are you up for dismantling your pc?
    Sure...
    Do you have a process on how I should tackle it. If the computer comes on shouldn't the power supply be working?
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Let's talk about the power supply (psu) first.

Just because a psu supplies some electricity to the motherboard for it to apparently start, doesn't mean it's working properly. A psu takes in voltage from your socket in your house - 110, 220 or whatever depending on where you live... it then converts that power into 12v and 5volt outputs with a given amount of amps/watts. If the power supply is failing, it may not output the voltage and watts in a steady reliable stream but may under supply or over supply.

For a non technician, the only way to test this is to replace the psu with a similarly rated new one.

The process on how to tackle taking apart your computer is reasonably simple. You need a bench to work on with power you can turn off. You need a little pot to put the screws in or if you are worried a sheet of paper and sticky tape. You tape the screw to the paper and write next to it where it came from.

First challenge is taking the case apart. If it's a branded computer, it could be a lot of fun figuring out the release mechanisms or getting the right screwdriver end (star/torx) to fit. Standard computer cases of this age were towers, had 4 screws in the back and both sides and top of the case are pulled back slightly then lifted off. Some had the panel on the sides that could be removed separately.

So what have you got ?

Apart..

Let's talk about the power supply (psu) first.

Just because a psu supplies some electricity to the motherboard for it to apparently start, doesn't mean it's working properly. A psu takes in voltage from your socket in your house - 110, 220 or whatever depending on where you live... it then converts that power into 12v and 5volt outputs with a given amount of amps/watts. If the power supply is failing, it may not output the voltage and watts in a steady reliable stream but may under supply or over supply.

For a non technician, the only way to test this is to replace the psu with a similarly rated new one.

The process on how to tackle taking apart your computer is reasonably simple. You need a bench to work on with power you can turn off. You need a little pot to put the screws in or if you are worried a sheet of paper and sticky tape. You tape the screw to the paper and write next to it where it came from.

First challenge is taking the case apart. If it's a branded computer, it could be a lot of fun figuring out the release mechanisms or getting the right screwdriver end (star/torx) to fit. Standard computer cases of this age were towers, had 4 screws in the back and both sides and top of the case are pulled back slightly then lifted off. Some had the panel on the sides that could be removed separately.

So what have you got ?
    Taking it apart is not a problem. I usual every so often open up the computer and clean it out. About 4 yrs ago I replaced the video card with a ATI Rage. I've replace parts in other computers too like Ram and Hard Drives. I was wondering how I can tell which part is bad in this one as I'm taking it apart. Do I turn it on as I take each part out or what?
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Old technique I was taught long ago. Similar to what you are saying is this.
    Turn off the PC. Take one piece out. Turn it on. See if it works. If not turn off again and take another piece out. Repeat until you get results. When it starts working again set aside the last piece you took out. Put the other pieces in one at a time and only remove them if they make it stop working.

BE SURE TO ALWAYS HAVE THE POWER OFF WHEN TAKING OUT OR ADDING A COMPONENT. You can damage 1 or more components if it is on when you add or remove them.

Also if you take all the memory out you won't get farther than a bunch of beeps and a black screen.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; November 1st, 2007 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twigs
    Taking it apart is not a problem. I usual every so often open up the computer and clean it out. About 4 yrs ago I replaced the video card with a ATI Rage. I've replace parts in other computers too like Ram and Hard Drives. I was wondering how I can tell which part is bad in this one as I'm taking it apart. Do I turn it on as I take each part out or what?
    OK, so first thing to do is replace the video card. When a card is dead, you get 3 beeps if it's award bios... but I have seen cards that partially die - only the video output dies (and they have always been ATI cards that do this).

As for visually spotting a broken component - it is possible, but more often than not a chip has fried with no external clue.

Examine the mainboard with a good light, you are looking for signs of burning and also look at the upright cylindrical things attached to the motherboard. These are capacitors and can bulge and leak. Look at the tops, they should be completely flat and clean.

Before you close it up again, ensure that all ide cables and other cables are securely attached by pushing them evenly but firmly into place.

Wink Quick Glance

OK, so first thing to do is replace the video card. When a card is dead, you get 3 beeps if it's award bios... but I have seen cards that partially die - only the video output dies (and they have always been ATI cards that do this).

As for visually spotting a broken component - it is possible, but more often than not a chip has fried with no external clue.

Examine the mainboard with a good light, you are looking for signs of burning and also look at the upright cylindrical things attached to the motherboard. These are capacitors and can bulge and leak. Look at the tops, they should be completely flat and clean.

Before you close it up again, ensure that all ide cables and other cables are securely attached by pushing them evenly but firmly into place.
    I did a quick glance. This weekend I can dive into it better.
    I open up the computer then turn it on. I have three fans in the unit ( one for the processor ,one for the unit and one in the power supply). They were all running. I turn it off then I unplugged two of fans and left the one on the power supply running beings I could figure out how to unplug just the fan for it. I turn it back on and listen to the HD. I could hear like a high pitch sound and I could feel a light vibration like maybe the HD spinning. Then I turn the unit off and unplugged the HD with the two fans still unplugged. then turn the unit back on and heard only the fan on the power supply running. Then I turn it off again and to out the Video card and put it back it to make sure it was seated ok. There was pretty much no change. I will do what you say and try replacing the video card. I still have the old one that I took out when I replaced it with the ATI that is in it now.

Do you think by the little info I gave you that the HD is working?

Really want to thank you for taking the time to help me with this.
    You have always been a great help to this greenhorn.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

It sounds like it is, but like most things, it's not that simple. The motor of the drive may make it spin up, but the electronics may prevent it from communicating with the computer.

Just one thought. Go into bios and check the setting for the video card is set to AGP. Sometimes it will reset to PCI and then the computer is trying to output the video from a non existant source. Did this computer have onboard video as well?

Lost in Bios

It sounds like it is, but like most things, it's not that simple. The motor of the drive may make it spin up, but the electronics may prevent it from communicating with the computer.

Just one thought. Go into bios and check the setting for the video card is set to AGP. Sometimes it will reset to PCI and then the computer is trying to output the video from a non existant source. Did this computer have onboard video as well?

Now this is where I really get lost. How do I get into Bois. Will it show up on the monitor? How does it show up on the monitor if the video card is dead?
    Then not sure on what you mean on onboard video. There is a video card plug into the mother board is that it??
    This computer was made by Tiger Direct about 8 yrs about.
    Thank you !!!
    Twigs

Right, not thinking, if you have no video, how do you get into bios... duh. Sorry dropped the ball there.

OK, onboard video is exactly that, a video output directly from the motherboard and not from a separate video card. Have you tried plugging the monitor into the onboard video and see what happens?