Board flashed with wrong BIOS

Thread: Board flashed with wrong BIOS

Exclamation Board flashed with wrong BIOS

I was brought a computer with a motherboard that was flashed with the wrong BIOS update, which naturally won't work now.
    Trying to fix the computer for the client, I found a board that supports the processor and memory he had. Unfortunately, when I installed the new board, the computer has no video signal output.
    After going through standard troubleshooting, I have come to the conclusion that the processor has failed. Tried onboard video, known good AGP video card. Tried with one RAM slot, different RAM sticks. Two different monitors get no signal.
    The only thing I haven't tried a different component on was the processor. I reseated it, hoping for the best, but nothing. The board has a socket 478 and I don't have another processor using that socket.
    Have I overlooked something here or would you agree it is the processor?
    Seems strange that it should fail suddenly. Could the bad BIOS flash have caused that? Wrong voltage setting or something similar?
    Client said that everything was working prior to the bad flash.

http://badbiosflash.com/ (or similar)

edit: Are you SURE the spare board is GOOD?

Socket 478's range from 25 to 250 bucks US - identify it and the cost of the new bios and if the customer (assuming it is) wishes to pay then off you go.

http://www.bizrate.com/cpus_computer...--251457-.html
    Last edited by CCT; November 19th, 2007 at 09:30 AM.

CMOS jumper is set correctly, board will not power up if it is in reset position.

Tried the new bios chip route first, apparently there is some sort of problem getting the one used on the board because they replied they couldn't provide one. Tried reflashing the old chip and never got any response from it.
    The other board is apparently good, the CPU fan and system fan power up and I get lights on the DVD and CDROM drives, but not on the floppy drive(?).
    Guess I'll see if he wants to get a new CPU and if he does I'll just use the spare board with it.
    Ninety per cent sure it's the CPU, since I ran into a similar situation two years ago [only without the bad bios flash, that one was a brand new system that wouldn't post, almost drove me crazy until I tried a different CPU].

I have got to ask how much this guy is willing to spend on this board against the price of a new board/processor/ram bundle.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I wasn't speaking about all boards, just the one in hand.
    1. Original board was ECS 848P-A. Has two CMOS jumpers. One prevents\enables flashing. The other is for clearing the CMOS. As stated if jumper is in clear cmos, board does nothing.
    Spare board was a Biostar P4TGT.
    2. Yes
    3. Yes

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    I have got to ask how much this guy is willing to spend on this board against the price of a new board/processor/ram bundle.
    If he wants to get a new processor, I will just use the spare board I had. It works with the ram he has and I had no use for it, until this came up.
    Most people now are all wanting dual or quad core processors.
    Think the old board has had its last hurrah.