What's your favorite music? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your favorite music?

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus
    A side link to someone who really "feels" the pain in Max Bruch's music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwJlg...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6S-X...eature=related
    Very nice. The fact that she is good looking, too, is an added bonus.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

"Favorite music" depends some on mood, some on what I'm burned out on or haven't heard lately. Generally, I like Traditional (including semi- and barely-) such as Bluegrass. Doc Watson, Flatt & Scruggs, Ricky Scaggs, Alison Krause, Ralph Stanley, David Grisman, Tony Rice, The Duhks.

Traditional Irish, Scots, and British stuff. Boys of the Lough, Altan, Fairport Convention, Steeleye Span, Richard Thompson, John Renbourn.

Blues. Albert, B.B., Freddy, Muddy, Mance Lipscomb, Bonnie Raitt, Keb' Mo'.

Just trends, not inclusive lists, and I'm certain I've omitted more of my favorite artists than I've included.

I like all that has a good tune. Opera does not Bluegrass, Jazz, oldies,
    70`s,80`s and on Some of the new CW, Now aday`s New acid rock out of the picture.:wave
    Last edited by xpuser357; December 2nd, 2007 at 11:20 AM.

More Spence (with the Pindar Family):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfpv1p90Le0

Hmm. I feel that some kind of response is in order. So, from Nacogdoches, Texas, Mance Lispcomb.

Sorry if I was confused, but I thought this was about sharing music and not a pissing contest.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb
    Sorry if I was confused, but I thought this was about sharing music and not a pissing contest.

Yeah, maybe way too much sharing at once. Over-exuberance on my part. Sorry. The sad thing, though, is there is so much more for which links cannot be found.

I enjoyed the Mance Lipscomb, by the way. I was familiar with him in name only.

This is fun: http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/crumb.htm

For anyone who want to try the Spence tune in the YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LiLf...eature=related

There is a Power Tab file here:

http://www.tabopolis.com/download/Jo...ting-22480.ptb

No, House, I'm sorry. The remark was meant to be a joke, but I realized about 2:00 am that it was likely to be misinterpreted. In fact, upon re-reading it wasn't even funny to me. Please keep the posts coming.

OK I just remembered 2 people I like to listen to who aren't in my 2 genres I prefer. I generally like any type of music as long as it's done well. I however deplore country music (American South-Western) the only 2 exceptions are Johnny Cash and the one that I like most out of the two Patsy Cline.

With my tail tucked firmly between my legs (at least it keeps my cojones warm) I'm back on this thread. House, I'm continually amazed by what I can find on youtube. I wish I could have found a video of Lipscomb that was more representative of his usual style, but I couldn't pass up the one I posted. He didn't play slide much. He generally played a pretty straightforward country blues fingerpicking style, but the single string bass is pure Mance. He also had a tendency to let the tempo drift, and gradually accelerate during a song. Some of the other songs on the sidebar are more typical for him. I don't think Mance ever saw a lot of money from his music. He worked much of his life as a sharecropper, and didn't get the attention he deserved as a musician until late in life.
    Last edited by slgrieb; December 5th, 2007 at 06:59 PM.

Rita Chiarelli's cover of Bob Dylan's Highway 61: http://www.ritachiarelli.com/files/m...h_Version).mp3 (Right Click and Save As -- about 876 K.) It's only the first verse or so of a much longer song, but you get the idea.

While it may not be precisely on-topic, I think the degree to which digital distribution (I'd include CDs here) has made the re-issue of older music so much more common. A week or so ago, I downloaded most of Freddie King's music from his Shelter Records albums, and filled in some other gaps in my vinyl collection of Lipscomb, T-Bone, and some other stuff. Does it get any better than affordable instant gratification?

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste
    OK I just remembered 2 people I like to listen to who aren't in my 2 genres I prefer. I generally like any type of music as long as it's done well. I however deplore country music (American South-Western) the only 2 exceptions are Johnny Cash and the one that I like most out of the two Patsy Cline.
    Well, what you deplore really covers a lot of ground. Have you listened to any Western Swing by, oh, Bob Wills, Leon Rausch, Asleep at the Wheel, maybe some Alvin Crow?

Here's one of my favorite radio stations: Texas Rebel Radio. It is pretty eclectic, so you can listen to some music that's pretty mainstream and get your doses of "Southwestern" stuff in manageable quantities. Who knows, if you develop a taste for it, you might even want to check out our own, locally produced (local by High Plains standards, anyway) Western Swing and Other Things.