wifi

Thread: wifi

Exclamation wifi

not realy sure if im in right spot

bought a toshiba tecra 8200 with built in wifi when it searches for my router it has no trouble finding the net work, but when i try to connect using the net work key supplied by my provider(sky) i get message whch reads
    the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration this can be 5 or 13 ascil characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters .my sky network key only has 8 .
    any idears how i get the laptop to except 8 characters only

ps:running on xp pro

Packard in the first place, your internet provider doesn't provide the Key.
    You set that up when you buy and put the router in. Unless you are in a university or hotel where it is provided for you.
    A little more information would help us.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by parkerd
    not realy sure if im in right spot

bought a toshiba tecra 8200 with built in wifi when it searches for my router it has no trouble finding the net work, but when i try to connect using the net work key supplied by my provider(sky) i get message whch reads
    the network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration this can be 5 or 13 ascil characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters .my sky network key only has 8 .
    any idears how i get the laptop to except 8 characters only

ps:running on xp pro
    Packerd, is that SKY as in the satellite service in the UK?

If so, in the package with the router there was a small card about the size of a business card. This has the code on it. You must set your toshiba use WPA and NOT WEP.

I have Sky so I can help you.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

yes it is sky as in skytv ,the card you refer to is where i got my 8 diget number from but when i enter this number ,that is when i get the message

how do i chane setting from wep
    Last edited by parkerd; December 1st, 2007 at 06:24 PM. Reason: need to add to it

That depends on what wifi card you are using and what operating system you have on your toshiba tecra... It may not support WPA. Some Tecra 8200s have wireless built in, others don't.

Tecra 8200 manuals

There is a separate wireless manual in pdf format which takes you through setting up a wireless lan, but it says it only does WEP.

The Sky Broadband Router is capable of doing WEP - but Sky set it up for the more secure WPA-PSK. You can phone Sky Broadband support and see if they will talk you through setting it to WEP. Alternatively, you can get a wireless PCMCIA card or USB wireless attachment which are £20 or less so that you can use WPA without having to alter the settings in the Sky Broadband Router.

Yes I do know how to change it, but if I talk you through it, you will be breaking the agreement with Sky Broadband. Be patient with the 1st line support at Sky, they have to comply with what Sky has decided to do. They don't have the power to change it and they get people yelling at them all day.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

if i get them to change settings in my router will that effect my other laptop witch already connects to my router through a wifi card

Yes. The router either works with WEP or WPA, it cannot do both at the same time.

If you decide to change the wifi on your tecra, please let me know which operating system you use with it (98, ME, 2000, XP or whatever) and I can then help you choose a suitable usb or pcmcia wifi card.

it sounds like my best option is to use a differant pcmcia wifi card instead of the intrgrated one

mt tecra is running xp

Running XP means you can choose pretty much any card you like. Stay away from the cheap ones on Ebay. If you want to get it online, CCL online would probably be your best bet.. for example, this USB wifi sticks are cheaper.