GFP with Epson Multifunction

Thread: GFP with Epson Multifunction

GFP with Epson Multifunction

My ex-landlady is having trouble getting a multifunction printer that can work with her Win98SE. She had an HP that gave her trouble, wherever she bought it gave her a Canon to try, which had no 98 drivers available, now she's been supplied an Epson CX5500 which works fine except it GPFs when she tries to print in IE (6 SP1).

She could work around that, but she has arthritic hands so a lot of cut & paste work is awkward, it would be a lot easier if she could just print from the web page.

The error dialog is the old white Win3.1 style Illegal Operation in iexplore.exe with only Close & Ignore buttons, so no help there as to cause. (Unless that's an indication in itself. I just dropped by on my way to another job, with the latest driver from Epson, but that didn't change anything. Maybe I should have run SFC?)

I can't find any hint of this being a known problem via Google search, anyone run across it or got any ideas?

Start here?:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/276393

You never said what version IE, so: (edit - YES, you did, just that I missed it the way you entered it - haha!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q194176/

Of interest from this site:

http://72.14.205.104/search?q=cache:...nk&cd=13&gl=ca

"The ability to save a Web page as a Web archive file is provided by the Inetcomm.dll file, which is installed by Outlook Express. It is possible that this file has not been properly registered on your computer or, some other program may have unregistered the data linked library file. Here is a work-a-round:

Lets assume that the dll file mentioned above is not registered properly or has some how become unregistered. Hey, it happens.
    By default, Inetcomm.dll, is stored in the services folder, or C:\Windows\System32.
    To be sure that the file is on your computer, do a search of the main drive where MSIE is and your Windows OS is stored. Once you know that the file is indeed on the system, then do the following:
    Press Windows Key + R to bring up the run dialog
    Type the following or copy and paste it into the run dialog

Regsvr32 Inetcomm.dll

Press OK
    After the dialog which says that file has been registered successfully, reboot the system and try to save a web archive file again. You should now have that option.
    If the DLL file is not on the system, then you will need to re-install MSIE 6.0 and all of the updates and service packs now loaded. For a Windows XP machine see this MSKB article:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows XP - MSKB"
    Last edited by CCT; December 1st, 2007 at 08:09 PM.

(Posted before I got to see your big edit)

Yes, with that old-style dialog the error reporting doesn't relate, but I had thought about toolbars & BHOs - despite what I tell her she always loads IE down with searchbars etc. And she does on-line stuff like paid surveys, mystery shopper etc. So there's plenty of room for there to be something incompatable attached to IE. I don't want to disable anything she really needs though, if she tries to make her mystery shopper report & it doesn't work, she won't get paid...

I'm not sure when I'll be there next - maybe I'll see if I can interest her in trying Firefox for general websurfing.
    Last edited by Platypus; December 1st, 2007 at 08:22 PM.