Lost sound too

Thread: Lost sound too

Lost sound too

I recently lost sound on my audigy 2zs platinum. Everything seemed to work until I used thier utility to reset everything to default values. I finally gave up and started using my MB's on board sound. When I say everything was fine I forgot to mention that it had been several months since I had been able to use the platinum drive and also the remote seemed to be dead. But the sound card seemed to work until I used the utility. What do people think is this expensive sound card fried?
    Before giving up I reset it ie removed it and booterd up w/o it, then replaced it and reinstalled the drivers from the original cd. Still nothing. Windows saw it, but the driver install utility couldn't see the card and gave the message that I didn't have any creative product on my computer untill, I let windows try and install the drivers-- which the directions say I shouldn't let it do. In any case, what do people think I should do? Just cash the card or keep it and try again later perhaps with a full reinstall of the system.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Ah the joys of creative and their products. Mind you I pretty much exclusively use their sound cards despite hating their software flaws. If you have winrar I suggest ripping their auto-installer apart with it. Make a folder for all files in that installer. Manually install the drivers and select the correct ones from the folder you just made. If you need more in depth steps let me know. This is just a rough sketch because I'm not on lunch yet.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Do you have any firewall/registry protection software? Sometimes that can upset creative software (well actually anything can, a format and reinstall might be quickest in the long run). Have you checked out creative support troubleshooting and updates?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Niclo, that sounds beyond my limited abilities to do. I would need step by step directions.

NooNoo, Thats my feeling too. I did download the most current file from creative. However since I have sound, I,m putting off the reformat and reinstall. This current install has a lot to it and everything else is working. It's a bugger to think about doing it all again.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

Not a problem it's not as scary as you think.
    First download WinRAR, best place to find it is www.download.com
    Install WinRAR then find your install program for your sound card. (If it is on a cd copy it to a folder on the desktop). Now right click the install file and select open with. Select winrar as the program to open it with. Once that is opened up copy all the files in the Win RAR window to another folder on the desktop (let's name it Sound Drivers). Now that you have all of those files transferred over. Go to start, then control panel, then add hardware. Once it detects the sound card select that you are going to browse for the files. Now just go to the directory for the desktop and select the Sound Drivers folder. All you have to do now is browse around those folders inside it until you actually find a file that you can click. (Don't choose the .exe files if they show). After this click next and the rest should be a matter of following the on screen directions. I know this is very verbose but I figured it would be best to put all of this here for you. Don't worry it's pretty easy once you do it and you will be able to do it again much faster if you have to do this again.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Niclo, I'll give it a go and get back on this thread with results. Thanks!

Well I decided to reistall everything and yes the sound card worked for a while I'm really having problems now see my new post in MB drivers

Everything is fine now I have sound again from this touchy card.