Can't burn DVD's
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't burn DVD's

Can't burn DVD's

Hi, I'm pretty new to computers(1 month) and I've burned my audio cd's.
    I decided that after getting some help to upload family videos from VHS to my computer, I wanted to burn the videos on to a DVD disc, But I cannot.
    I use DeepBurnerPro and it works amazingly. However, when I go to burn dvd's, I get this message: "Drive not ready. It is possibly busy or empty".

To burn the audio cd's I use memorex. So, I figured to burn videos, I'd get the memorex DVD+R. And they won't work. I have windows xp and i've read that xp's are sometimes not compatible with dvd burning but I don't really understand what that means.

If anyone could give me some insight as to what may be wrong it'd be great appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to Windrivers Sawhitier23

What is the model number of your dvd drive please?
    What windows are you using?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Welcome to Windrivers Sawhitier23

What is the model number of your dvd drive please?
    What windows are you using?
    I'm not sure what that means, "model number" but
    I found this:
    HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B
    JLMS XJ-HD 1665

I have Windows XP

Right, the first one is just a CD burner (doesn't burn dvds) and the other is a DVD ROM drive (also doesn't burn DVDs) so I am afraid the reason you can't burn a DVD is because neither drive is a DVD burner. Sorry.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Right, the first one is just a CD burner (doesn't burn dvds) and the other is a DVD ROM drive (also doesn't burn DVDs) so I am afraid the reason you can't burn a DVD is because neither drive is a DVD burner. Sorry.
    Oh, okay.

So, then would i have to buy one or is their
    a place on the net i could install one?

you need to replace on of your drives... I would suggest the cd burner (GCE8483b) so that you can play DVD and CDs and record them on to the new burner.

They are not difficult to replace, if you are near me in the UK, I can do it for you for a small fee.

you need to replace on of your drives... I would suggest the cd burner (GCE8483b) so that you can play DVD and CDs and record them on to the new burner.

They are not difficult to replace, if you are near me in the UK, I can do it for you for a small fee.

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, I do not live in the UK.

I'm not to computer savy, but
    would it be simple enough for me
    to do myself?

If you live near me I will do it for free. You pay for the gas Yes you can put it in yourself, If you are a little mechanical inclined. It will involve
    taking your computer case and sliding the cover off. And depending on
    drive mounting you may have to take both sides off if you have tower
    to access screws. Then pay close attention on ribbon cable and power plug
    The red line on ribbon cable will face power cable when putting cables back on. You also need to NOTE where Jumper is set on drive you take out and
    put jumper at same place on new drive, Then reassemble, and hopefully you did not knock something out of whack. Pull the drive through the front.

Yes you can if you are careful!

Here are a few tutorials Installing a cd drive

Installing a cd drive

CDs and DVD drives are the same connections. Your biggest challenge is likely to be getting the case apart. Make sure you don't drop screws (or the screwdriver) onto the other components and ground yourself to rid yourself of static first.

In the UK, it's easy, you turn off the power at the wall and on the power supply on the computer if there is one. Leave the power cord connected to provide a route to earth then make sure some part of you is touching the case for 15 seconds before touching anything inside the computer.

I know in the states that the houses can be earthed differently, but I don't know how differently.

In the older day`s Knob and tube, and there is a lot of houses that do not have grounded receptacle. Beware where someone installed a grounded
    receptacle but did not hook up a ground wire. ( ground wire not there )
    If you have a meter, or Cut off lamp cord, turn on light and plug in those wires into small Slit and round hole. your light should work. If you don`t have meter, If you do,! small slit to round hole should be around 120 volts.On the cord you will have to buy repair Male receptacle. to have a safe connection
    also If you do it that way you will need to skin back about half and inch
    on your wire and twist them to have one single wire each to plug in corresponding hole`s. or you may be in fairly new house and all is well
    Last edited by xpuser357; December 22nd, 2007 at 12:35 PM.

XPUser, I am pretty good a understanding most people's posts, but you have lost me entirely... and given that we are dealing with life threatening stuff here, could you rewrite your post in numbered instructions please?

XPUser, I am pretty good a understanding most people's posts, but you have lost me entirely... and given that we are dealing with life threatening stuff here, could you rewrite your post in numbered instructions please?
    Meaning, that I should really get someone who
    knows what they are doing to do this for me.

Thnaks guys!

Yes I will
    In the older day`s they had Knob and tube for house wiring., There was no
    ground wire, Depending where you live. It should now be romex W/ground.

(1) To check if you have a good ground on your receptacle.

(2) you will need a meter to measure volts, Place probe in right hand slit
    and hole which looks like upsidedown U. That is what you will see looking right at Receptacle, You should read around 120 volts.

(3) If you do not have meter you can use a table lamp, Cut off plug and
    seperate both wires about 5 inches. Strip insulation off wires, about 1/2
    inch ,then you will need to put all strands of wire to itself by rolling Strands with your fingers to make it one wire to each Lead.When you are done You will see two wires That are rolled at the ends.

(4) Being Very careful turn on table lamp with switch and then insert your wires in Receptacle as above. Right hand slit and round hole, Your light should light up.

(5) Now you will have to go and get a male Plug to repair Table Lamp.

xpuser if you please would you mind telling us what this has to do with the person`s question of installing a dvd burner?

Hello, Saw23, the links Noo has provided should provide enough information to swap the drive. It's easy. Jumper settings should be the same, but otherwise it is just a matter of unplugging and reconnecting a couple of cables. Easy, easy.

Still if you prefer not to do it yourself, PM me. Send me a round trip plane ticket, buy me dinner (and provide a cute date), and I'll do the drive swap for free.

Actually, you can do this with less effort than posting your question. Merry Christmas!