install xtra ram onto hp pavilion zv5000 - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: install xtra ram onto hp pavilion zv5000

Quote Originally Posted by OMGmissinglink
    Now NooNoo build an Intel P4 3.4ghz with 1 stick of DDR ram as you say and run bench test under full load then you can post that the PC peformes the same with 1 stick as opposed to 2 sticks as the manufactures recommed.
    I'm sorry, you must have misread my posts again. I did not say it would perform the same. I said it would not halve the performance. I said you would see a a reduction of between 5 and 25% depending on what the processor was doing. I said that this is because the processor is not always waiting for data from the RAM.

I think perhaps you do not understand the difference between the word "dual" and the word "double".

Dual means that there are two of the same thing working together.

Double means that there is one thing being used twice or that there is and increase of a factor of 2.

If you use dual where you mean double, you will confuse people who understand the difference.

For example, if something has increased in size so that it is now twice the size that it was, you would say it doubled its size. You would not say it dualled it size.

So to your statement
    Intel processors use quad pumped/same meaning as dual channel
    Double pumped (in the context of processors) means access happens twice per cycle. Quad pumping refers to 4 accesses per cycle. There is only one cycle but it is getting twice or four times the use.

Dual channel means that there are two separate channels, in the context of dual channel memory, each 64bit channel goes to its own memory controller.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo acually Intel processors access DDR ram 4 clocks per cycle aka quad pumped, AMD processors access DDR ram 2 clocks per cycle aka dual pumped, using the same DDR Ram speed.
    Carefully read post #107. Where in that post does the names "Intel" or "AMD" appear?

AMD processors are double-pumped. AMD processors have dual memory controllers on die.

Post #107 explains the difference between the word "double" and the word "dual".

Now to the question again NooNoo how does a lappy with 533mhz FSB achieve 3.06ghz with one stick of DDR PC2700 as the manufacture recommended.
    I must refer you again to post #107 - 1st paragraph. Perhaps you missed it?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You are the one who insists I said that, I didn't. You have shown that you have misread my posts a number of times. I suggest you take a few minutes and read what I actually posted.

Those are very nice numbers. What software did you use for that?

I said that pages ago, do keep up.

The lappie doesn't, just because you have two memory controllers doesn't mean you have the 128bit bus feeding them.

It is not my intent to muddy the waters but to clarify the pool.

I have NOT found one source that supports zV5000.6000 dual channel operation but at least 3 ( 2 I linked and one someone else did) that say they DO NOT SUPPORT DUAL CHANNEL OPERATION.

That doesn't mean they cannot use memory which COULD run in dual channel, just that it won't, because the MB doesn't have dual channels, regardless of what the AMD64 processor is capable of.

Bad English, good point. (edited for spelling - lol)

G'night all!

Last edited by CCT; January 25th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Show me the link that says those computers run memory in dual channel mode (NOT that they run with ddr memory or with memory that is dual channel capable as DDR is, BUT that they RUN IN DUAL CHANNEL MODE!).

Don't be wordy - don't digress - just show me the valid link (one from HP would be so comforting).

edit: hughughughughug(OMGmissinglink)hughughughug
    Last edited by CCT; January 25th, 2008 at 09:45 PM.

Ah! So you have no verifiable proof? OK.

Hard to have a disagreement with someone that has no support and refuses to provide any.

Annecdotal evidence is nice, but actual statements from the manufacturers or at least arms-length reviewers are better.

Anyway - carry on with the delusion.

Hugs anyway also.

I'm truly sorry, but you posted no such thing.

If you think you did, then I am even sorrier.

Show me the link that says those computers run memory in dual channel mode (NOT that they run with ddr memory or with memory that is dual channel capable as DDR is, BUT that they RUN IN DUAL CHANNEL MODE!).

I am truly sorry, but that doesn't support your position about the HP motherboard we are all discussing. That processor isn't the issue. The issue is, does the motherboard in question support dual channel ram operation.

Can you focus for a moment here?

None of the arguments you have put forth have anything relevent to say about the hp pavilion zv5000 series computers and their ability to operate ram as dual channel.

Much of what you have said is true, BUT IT HAS NO BEARING ON THE ISSUE AT HAND!

Those HP motherboards do not, from all annecdotal and reviewer data provided, have any support for DDR ram dual channel operation.

They support DDR ram. NOT dual channel operation.

Anyway - fun as this has been, it is time to go hence and slay dragons or Hibbies or something.

Face it OMG. You refuse to understand the difference of the words double and dual and how they are used in context.

HP created the zv5000 motherboards without the 128bit bus between the DIMMS and the Processor in the AMD. In its place is the standard 64bit bus. You cannot run in dual channel mode without the 128bit bus.

You can use processors that support dual channel, you can use double data rate ram, but unless you connect the two with the appropriate bus, there is no Dual Channel Mode.

I am still puzzled why you keep posting links to GPUs, the last one mentions a 128 bit memory bus. This is the bus betwen the video ram and the video GPU, not the bus between the CPU and the DIMMs.

Direct Connect is still a bus... it just means it doesn't go through the north bridge.

Where did I say that?
    The ZV5000 does not support dual channel memory architecture.

Circles OMG, you are going in circles. Please read what I have posted.

The ZV5000 series laptops do not support dual channel memory architecture.