Vista Update KB935509 failed - error 80004005, configuring updates message FIXED - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Vista Update KB935509 failed - error 80004005, configuring updates message FIXED

windows firewall is on. should i disable it and try again?

or should i login as REAL administrator first then try?

my user account at the moment is "Administrator"

ps my last attempt was

disable system restore
    restart
    set safe mode boot, install kb935509
    restart to safe mode
    uncheck safe boot, restart
    check windows update center. update still failed

Yes, disable the firewall, the antivirus and anything else like spyware protection....obviously you should be off line at this point.

The real administrator - check the link I gave you.

You can also download the update separately and install it by double clicking it rather than use the windows update screen
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

mate i downloaded it separately and installed. installation was successfull

BUT. in windows update, kb935509 still shows up as available update.

whys that? i've hidden the one still showing up for the time being...

Last edited by fatjoez; March 23rd, 2008 at 08:53 PM.

It's because you manually installed it. You can try letting it install again to get rid of it if you like.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

NooNoo, thanks, but I've followed your instructions very carefully and it did NOT work for me, twice. Between your steps 14 and 15 it does another self-restart and eventually after completing all steps it ends up Failed.

What had WORKED for me (some steps may not be necessary, I have a feeling that just turning off my Symantec v10.2.0.276 Anti-Virus did the trick, but I'll list all the steps I took.

(No need to turn on Safe Boot (aka Safe Mode))
    1. Turn OFF System Protection > Automatic Restore Points > uncheck C:
    2. Turn ON System Protection > Automatic Restore Points > check C:
    3. Reboot
    (above as per Geoffrey Raynor [MS] post on http://forums.microsoft.com/technet/...6527&siteid=17)
    4. Turn OFF your Anti-Virus (A/V)
    5. Install STAND-ALONE KB935509: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en (from the above thread too). It will do "configuring updates...shutting down...start up... configuring...self-reboot...configuring", then come up.

6. In Windows Updates > View Updates History - you should now see KB935509 Successful, BUT ... under View Available Updates it will be listed again
    - Uncheck all other updates in the list, check KB935509 only and install it again now, from this list. It will do "configuring updates...shutting down... start again...configuring updates...another SELF-RESTART...another configuring updates..." and eventually let you login or show the desktop.
    7. In Windows Updates > View Updates History - it will show 'Fail' for your last attempt to install, 'Successful' for the earlier stand-alone install, but it will no longer list it as an Available update...
    8. Select all of the remaining updates, install them and restart
    9. Turn ON your A/V

Good luck!

Welcome to Windrivers AntiPKin

Glad you found a quicker way to get the darn thing to go! Which version Symantec do you have?

I have Symantec v10.2.0.276. I think it's a Corporate version, but it doesn't say it anywhere.

After my post above and another reboot - the KB935509 is again being offered to me by the Win Update... But the good news is that I was able to install other 28 updates that were failing without it.

I think you have two choices then, hide the update or try letting it install using the safemode trick.

Did your company supply this anti-virus version? If it didn't, I would uninstall it and use Avast free home edition instead.

Standalone installs fine (I've tried twice) and status stays Success. I've tried your steps with with Safe Boot again. Didn't work for me. Anti-Virus was off, System Protection off for all drives. I've read numerous posts online, even tried synching my PC clock with Micorsoft. I don't have Bitlocker, no dual-boot, no Comodo firewall. Nothing worked for me - Win Updates does "installed successfully", then a few minutes after the last restart a balloon pops-up that it was unsuccessful and offers me this as an available update again. I'm able to install other Important/Recommended updates without KB935509.

Are you going to install SP1? I think you should just hide the update and have done with it, but if you are going to go for SP1, I think you should back up before you do, just incase this does have an effect.

I did ask the question of the Vista team at Microsoft - I haven't had an answer yet.