NEWS: Intel Delivers Eight-Core Enthusiast Platform

Thread: NEWS: Intel Delivers Eight-Core Enthusiast Platform

NEWS: Intel Delivers Eight-Core Enthusiast Platform

For those who crave more performance than what four processing cores and a single graphics card can deliver today, Intel has officially introduced the Intel Dual Socket Extreme Desktop Platform. Formerly codenamed "Skulltrail," this is one of the first enthusiast desktop platforms to support two Intel quad core processors for a total of eight processing engines and a choice of multi-card graphics solutions from either ATI or NVIDIA.
    The Intel Desktop Board D5400XS, when paired with two Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 processors, forms the foundation of the Intel Dual Socket Extreme Desktop Platform. Hardcore gamers will welcome the opportunity to enjoy multiple simultaneous graphics card solutions featuring either NVIDIA SLI or ATI Crossfire for today's latest graphics-intensive titles. And the performance of eight processing cores is especially welcomed by the 3-D animators, digital audio artists and high-definition video editors behind the coolest games here at the Game Developers Conference.

But what operating system other than server will be able to see all 8 cores?
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Anyone ever notice CPU cores are almost treated like razor blades now? It used to be 1 blade is enough now we have 3-8 blade razors same goes for processors now.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Guts Vista supports multiple cpus
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks for the link, Noo, but it doesn't say that Vista will support all 8 cores for sure. I have built a few quad core XP machines, but only one Vista quad core. The link alludes to the possibility that a service pack or patch might come out allowing Vista to use all 8 cores. Regardless, I still want one!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

As far as I'm aware, number of processors and number of cores is two different issues.

e.g:

"A physical processor is a single chip that houses a collection of one or more cores. A core is a collection of one or more processor threads and a set of shared execution resources. A processor thread is the architectural state within a processor that tracks execution of a software program thread/task."

"Windows XP Professional can support up to two processors regardless of the number of cores on the processor."

http://www.microsoft.com/licensing/h...multicore.mspx

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...u_bottlenecks/

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!