Hard drive not found during Vista 64 Premium install..
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard drive not found during Vista 64 Premium install..

Unhappy Hard drive not found during Vista 64 Premium install..

Hello, I have been struggling with Vista 64 bit premium on my new build and still cannot get Vista to see my hard drive.

Problem: Windows Vista 64-bit OEM will not recognize my SATA hard drive during a clean install on new build.

CPU: Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4
    MB: Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3L version 2.0
    HD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KSRTL 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    RAM:CORSAIR 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
    PS: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous @ 40°C Power Supply
    GC: VGA XFX PVT84JYAJG 8600GT 512M RT
    CASE: RAIDMAX|ATX-612WB BK RT

Here is what I have tried:

only installed two gigs of ram for install
    Changed SATA cable
    Changed port - 4 on MB
    Made changes in BIOS - turned on/turned off, set BIOS to defaults, AHCI and NATIVE port 0-1
    Fed Intel chipset drivers that I downloaded from MB page when trying to install, did F6 and fed Intel drivers from the Intel download for my chipset
    changed jumper to 150mb
    I installed a borrowed copy of Xp which worked fine so hard ware is ok.

So my BIOS finds the hard drive fine but Windows Vista 64 will not see the hard drive for me to partition and install.

Thank you in advanced for any help you may be able to offer.

Last edited by CCT; March 10th, 2008 at 06:21 AM.

Thank you for the links. I believe I have been down those roads. My MB is a non raid board but I went to Intel and downloaded the sata chipset drivers as well as the chipset drivers that Gigabyte has listed. I browsed to a flash drive, vista found the drivers and I selected the sata drivers one at a time with no luck. I have the option selected to only list compatible drivers in VISTA.

I guess it is possible I am still not getting the right drivers... but selected them based on the chipset of the MB.

I have also tried various settings in the BIOS, ahci on/off, Port 0-1 Native on off, combo of the two. I set the BIOS back to default settings with no luck.

I am missing something but I cannot figure this out. I have read others having no problems with vista 64 and this mother board.

Please keep the ideas coming, there has to be an answer to this.
    Thank you

SATA AHCI Mode (Intel ICH9 Southbridge) needs to be set as disabled as does SATA Port0-3 Native Mode (Intel ICH9 Southbridge)

HPET mode needs to be set to 64bit

I seem to remember having to go to Intel to get drivers to work on a similar Gigabyte board.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Doing a Google to learn about 'HPET mode' I hit this:

http://softwarecommunity.intel.com/i.../30225022.aspx

Helps to explain it a bit.

Well, I have about had it. I guess I could always go buy XP..that seems to work fine and find the harddrive. I pulled the hard drive and installed it today in another system at work and it found it fine and formatted it. I borrowed a friend's copy of XP the installation found the HD in my build. Vista still will not recognize my HD in my build.

I have played with the BIOS settings. I confirmed the BIOS version is F7 which is the newest non-beta version for my board. I don't think there is any point in trying to update the BIOS.

I am lost and tired. My first build and I decided to go for Vista 64 knowing I would probably have issues with drivers but had no idea I would not get past even the install of Windows after 2 weeks.

I have an email in to Western Digital and have been talking to Gigabyte. Everything GB tells me is that there should be no problems and no special setup or drivers needed for Vista to find my HD.

I will post another update later.

Any ideas? Would love to hear the "smoking gun" idea.
    Thank you

I forgot to mention I have had the HPET set to 64-bit all along as well as I disabled AHCI and SATA Port 0-1 Native mode with no luck. Thank you for the replies.

Can you just confirm that step 13 here is what we are talking about? You get no recognition of the drive at this point?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Yes, Step 13 from your link is where I am stuck. There is no drives found so I am unable to select or partition one to tell Vista where to install.

Gigabyte tells me VISTA has the driver I need and Western Digital does as well. Despite that, I downloaded the raid chipset drivers from Intel and also the most current chipset drivers from my MB page. I browsed to my flash drive, VISTA found only the drivers that were valid I selected the sata drivers and the others but nothing helped VISTA is still unable to see the HD.

I had posted another post before my last one but still waiting for it to showup in the thread...why are there like a 15 hour delay on my posts to this forum?

OK that's odd, it should still see the disk drive even if it can't drive it. Is the disk already formatted?

Oh and your last question - some posts get shoved in the spam filter holding for a real human to investigate and only a few people can do it, so sometimes it takes a while. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    Oh and your last question - some posts get shoved in the spam filter holding for a real human to investigate and only a few people can do it, so sometimes it takes a while. Sorry.
    Thanks for your posts NooNoo.

Ok, was just curious why the delay was happening.

Yesterday I pulled the hard drive and connected it to my work system and had no problem seeing the HD even through a SATA adapter through USB. I then did a format on the drive thinking that might help the process so..

HD is formated, new and working properly.
    I am trying a clean install.

Western Digital states that VISTA has the sata driver needed, Gigabyte says the same thing.

Based on my parts listed earlier in the forum can someone give me a specific link to the driver I should use?

I have tried the newest chipset drivers from my MB overview page and the chipset specific drivers from Intel. The process of connecting the flash drive browsing and seeing drivers is working. I actually have been able to choose sata drivers but still no luck.

Thank you and I appreciate the continued posts and help from people.

Maybe I will have to go back and redo things over. From what I have been told the following conditions should be set in the BIOS:

AHCI off
    SATA Port0-1 Native off
    HPET enabled and set to 64-bit.

Maybe I will try the drivers again in case I have had setting combinations wrong I have been trying everything.

So are you saying that Vista does see the drive at step 13 before you load the driver?

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo
    So are you saying that Vista does see the drive at step 13 before you load the driver?
    No, VISTA never sees the drive but my efforts to provide a driver result in VISTA seeing DRIVERS to choose from when I browse to my flash drive. But selecting any of them whether they be from the INTEL Chipset download or the Chipset I downloaded from Gigabyte still do not fix that there is no drive to install to.

Sorry drive and driver is making it sound confusing.

The point is no drive ever is available for VISTA to install to even after I try to give it a driver at step 13.

OK so on this screen shot, you are saying that when Vista asks you where to install Vista, it has NO disk showing in the central box?