Hard drive not found during Vista 64 Premium install.. - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hard drive not found during Vista 64 Premium install..

Welcome to Windrivers spacecowboy... believe it or not your problem is nothing like the ones described here... the clue is in the error message from the bios

have a read here

Does the bios detect your drives correctly? Is this a raid setup?
    Please post the make and model of your motherboard, drives and any raid card you may have.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I fixed the problem..sort of. I had a new 1TB external My Book that I gutted and I put that into my rig. It was recognized, and Vista is installing now. After installation I'm going to see if there is an issue with my first HD.

As for the info you requested: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R 1.1 Mobo
    And a WD 500 GB internal HD

I will post soon with the results of the test to see if it was in fact the hard drive

What are your specs? (motherboard model? using 64-bit Vista with 64-bit drivers? anything else you think might be relevant.)

note that the hang at verifying DMI pool data is a common problem, and a Google search brings up a number of possible solutions. have you tried this? http://www.duxcw.com/faq/computer/dmi.html

hope that helps

errrr, oops, sorry

Was the wd drive sata or ide? What model drive. Did you try a zeo fill?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Hello all, I've recently had these same problems. When I try to install Vista 64 it's unable to detect my HD. In my BIOS it does detect the hard drive, it is set up as IDE.
    I've been trying to follow the steps on this website and I am stuck at steps 14/15.

Computer Specs:
    CPU: Intel Duo Core E8500
    MB: Asus P5E3 Premium wi-fi
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500g

Recently I had it set up as a RAID 0, but one of my hard drives failed, and instead of replacing the failed HD, I decided just to reformat with the 1 HD. I reset the BIOS and changed it from RAID to IDE, with these new settings, the HD is detected by the BIOS. I went to the Seagate website to see if I can find these drivers I'm supposed to install, it said there was no firmware for my HD.

As of right now, I've not a clue what to do next. I went to the Intel, Asus, and Seagate website in search of these updates, but I don't know if it's me, but I can't find them. Any guidance would be appreciated as I am at the end of a dead end street .

I just want to say that NooNoo's sig is hilarious, after my HD failed I was just like "Yeah, let's just reformat and it'll be all okay." and what do you know, it's just not that easy :P.

spencerkelch, you have the 'Sata configuration' set as 'enhanced' and 'configure Sata' as 'IDE' ?

If connected to the JMicron stuff, that setting has to be enabled and on IDE (Advanced).

Quote Originally Posted by CCT View Post
    spencerkelch, you have the 'Sata configuration' set as 'enhanced' and 'configure Sata' as 'IDE' ?

If connected to the JMicron stuff, that setting has to be enabled and on IDE (Advanced).
    All that stuff is correct.

Then I think you are at the point where post 31 by Ferrit may apply:

Same problem Radeon 1100 chipset

I believe NooNoo has it right with the zero fill. My drive was visible in the BIOS but Vista w/SP1 clean install couldn't see the drive. I plugged it into a running Vista box and it said it was a dynamic disk. I killed it and created a basic disk partition with device manager. Put it back in the original box and now Vista install sees it and installs fine. NooNoo's zero fill would have fixed it also. For those of you wondering what that is you can download a utility from most drive manufacturers that will wipe or zero fill the drive for you. If they have a quick or first and last x many sectors that should work fine.
    Radeon xpress 200, 1100 sb600 and such do not need drivers to install Vista to a bare drive! I loaded a ton of them and never got Vista to see the drive.