Firewire ports - Which way to go????

Thread: Firewire ports - Which way to go????

Question Firewire ports - Which way to go????

I'm pricing out a new computer build, and not sure which way to go with the firewire ports.

Every so often I will hook up my Sony D8 camcorder to my computer so I can edit the video. I'm tired of having the firewire cable connected to the back of my old computer, so I have decided that on my new computer, I will have firewire up front.

Looking for comments on:

1) How good/reliable are the firewire headers on current motherboards (I am looking at the eVGA or XFX i630 Pentium dual-core motherboards) using a case's front/side firewire port? I'm currently looking at acquiring the following case:

http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16811119137

2) What about in comparison to the 5-1/4 or 3-1/2 combo drive bays (one I saw has eSata, USB2.0 & FireWire)?

Any comments/suggestions as to going a different route than the two above, I am all up for, as long as it's a good argument.

Thanks!

Never had a problem with onboard firewire or the headers. It is the way to go in my opinion. I would prefer to use a case with front firewire.

The drive bays are equally useful if you have a case with no front ports. You rarely have enough headers to supply both case and the drive bay types though.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."